Stenosing peroneal tenosynovitis is not an uncommon ailment. It has a number of different causes, one of which is hypertrophy of the peroneal tubercle. In this report, we present a case of stenosing tenosynovitis of the peroneus brevis tendon associated with hypertrophy of the peroneal tubercle without involvement of the peroneus longus tendon. The condition was fully resolved by means of operative treatment.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Stenosing tenosynovitis and impingement of the peroneal tendons associated with hypertrophy of peroneal tubercle.Foot Ankle Int. 1999; 20: 464-467
- Stenosing tendovaginitis of the foot and ankle; studies with special reference to the stenosing tendovaginitis of the peroneal tendons of the peroneal tubercle.AMA Arch Surg. 1953; 67: 686-698
- Tear of the peroneus longus tendon: MR imaging features in nine patients.Radiology. 2000; 214: 700-704
- Peroneal tendon injuries: CT analysis.Radiology. 1986; 161: 743-748
- Peroneal tenosynovitis secondary to peroneal tubercle osteochondroma and calcaneal varus.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 1995; 85: 214-217
- The peroneal tubercle: description, classification, and relevance to peroneus longus tendon pathology.Foot Ankle Int. 2005; 26: 947-950
- Osteochondroma of the peroneal tubercle.Int Orthop. 1995; 19: 405-407
- Bilateral stenosing tenosynovitis of the peroneus longus tendon associated with hypertrophied peroneal tubercle in a junior soccer player: a case report.Foot Ankle Int. 2007; 28: 129-132
- Recurrent hypertrophic peroneal tubercle associated with peroneus brevis tendon tear.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2007; 46: 403-408
- Peroneal tenosynovitis with pseudotumor.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1968; 50: 153-157
- Stenosing tenosynovitis of the common peroneal tendon sheath. Reports of two cases.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1956; 38: 1352-1357
- Stenosing tenosynovitis of peroneus longus tendon associated with hypertrophy of peroneal tubercle and os peroneum. A case report.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1992; 74: 440-442
- The relations of peroneal tendons to the fibula, calcaneus, and cubeidenum.Am J Anat. 1928; 42: 213-253
- The varieties of the os calcis.J Anat Physiol. 1904; 38: 133-143
- Subcutaneous tear of the tendon of the peroneus longus; its relation to the giant peroneal tubercle.AMA Arch Surg. 1956; 73: 216-219
Published online: May 11, 2009
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.