The majority of soft tissue masses seen in the lower extremity are benign tumors caused by degenerative, reactive, or inflammatory processes. Sarcomas are relatively uncommon entities but need to be diagnosed and treated appropriately. We present a case of a myxoinflammatory fibroblastic sarcoma of the leg and review the literature on this topic. This is a rare tumor that predominately involves the distal extremities. It often presents as a painless mass within the subcutaneous tissue and can easily be confused with benign lesions. A high rate of local recurrence means patients must be followed up closely after resection of the tumor.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Acral myxoinflammatory fibroblastic sarcoma: a low-grade tumor of the hands and feet.Am J Surg Pathol. 1998; 22: 911-924
- Acral myxoinflammatory fibroblastic sarcoma: a report of five cases and review of the literature.Virchows Arch. 2003; 442: 25-30
- Inflammatory myxohyaline tumor of distal extremities with virocyte or Reed-Sternberg-like cells: a distinctive lesion with features simulating inflammatory conditions, Hodgkin's disease, and various sarcomas.Mod Pathol. 1998; 11: 384-391
- Case reports: acral myxoinflammatory fibroblastic sarcoma: a report of five cases and literature review.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006; 445: 254-260
- Myxoinflammatory fibroblastic sarcoma: a tumor not restricted to acral sites.Ann Diag Pathol. 2002; 6: 272-280
- Myxoinflammatory fibroblastic sarcoma of the neck.J Cutan Pathol. 2005; 32: 375-378
- Myxoinflammatory fibroblastic sarcoma: MR appearance and pathologic correlation.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2005; 184: 1749-1753
- Acral myxoinflammatory fibroblastic sarcoma. Six cases of a tumor entity.Pathology. 2001; 22: 157-161
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.