The authors present a case report of a complication of a complete phalangeal fracture after flexor digitorum longus tendon transfer used for the surgical correction of a hammertoe deformity.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Operative procedures for the correction of hammertoe, claw toe, and mallet toe. A literature review.Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 1996; 13: 211-220
- Diagnosis and treatment of forefoot disorders. Section 1: digital deformities. Clinical Practice Guideline Forefoot Disorders Panel.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2009; 48: 230-238
- Review of proximal interphalangeal joint excisional arthroplasty for the correction of second hammer toe deformity in 100 cases.Foot Ankle Int. 2005; 26: 320-325
- Combined plantar plate and hammertoe repair with flexor digitorum longus tendon transfer for chronic, severe sagittal plane instability of the lesser metatarsophalangeal joints: preliminary observations.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2008; 47: 125-137
- Lesser-metatarsal medial displacement osteotomy for the treatment of digital transverse plane deformities.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2005; 95: 550-555
- Arthroplasty of the second toe.Semin Arthroplasty. 1992; 3: 31-38
- Subluxation and dislocation of the second metatarsophalangeal joint.Orthop Clin North Am. 1989; 20: 535-551
- Predislocation syndrome. Progressive subluxation/dislocation of the lesser metatarsophalangeal joint.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2002; 92: 182-199
- Predislocation syndrome: a review and retrospective analysis of eight patients.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2001; 40: 214-224
- Results of flexor-to-extensor and extensor brevis tendon transfer for correction of the crossover second toe deformity.Foot Ankle Int. 1999; 20: 781-788
- Flexor tendon transfer for metatarsophalangeal instability of the second toe.Foot Ankle. 1993; 14: 385-388
- Modification of the flexor tendon transfer procedure for the correction of flexible hammertoes.J Foot Surg. 1980; 19: 38-40
- The role of toe flexor-to-extensor transfer in correcting metatarsophalangeal joint instability of the second toe.Foot Ankle Int. 2005; 26: 675-679
- The flexor-extensor transplant operation for claw toes.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1958; 40-B: 528-533
- Transfer of the flexor digitorum longus for the correction of lesser-toe deformities.Foot Ankle Int. 2007; 28: 422-430
- Flexor digitorum longus transfer.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 1993; 83: 244-250
- Dynamic correction of clawtoes.Orthop Clin North Am. 1973; 4: 97-102
- Tendon transplantation for clawing of the great toe.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1938; 20: 57-60
- Physiotherapy for hand and foot.J Chartered Soc Physiother. 1947; 32: 167-169
- The treatment of claw toes by multiple transfers of flexor into extensor tendons.J Bone Joint Surg. 1951; 33: 539-542
- Transplantation of the flexor digitorum longus muscle tendon in hammertoes.J Am Podiatr Assoc. 1970; 60: 383-388
- Flexor digitorum longus transfer for second metatarsophalangeal joint dislocation/subluxation.in: Miller S.J. Mahan K.T. Yu G.V. Camasta C.A. Vickers N.S. Reconstructive Surgery of the Foot and Leg. Update '97. The Podiatry Institute, Tucker, GA1997: 11-14
Published online: December 04, 2009
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.