We report the functional results of a case series of Moje first metatarsophalangeal total joint replacements carried out between February 2001 and November 2006. All patients who underwent Moje arthroplasty under the care of a single surgeon were included; outcome scores and complications were recorded annually. A total of 32 joints in 29 consecutive patients were followed for a mean duration of 34 (range 6 to 74) months, and the mean patient age at the time of operation was 56 (range 38 to 79) years. Hallux rigidus was the primary diagnosis in 28 (87.5%) of the cases. The mean American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society Hallux-Metatarsophalangeal-Interphalangeal score at final follow-up was 74/100 (range 9 to 100), with 13 (40.63%) joints rated good to excellent. Two (6.25%) joints were revised to arthrodesis at a mean of 52 (range 41 to 63) months following the arthroplasty procedure, and the overall prevalence of postoperative complications was 6 (18.75%). Based on these results, we concluded that first MTPJ total joint replacement with the Moje device remains promising, but still has room for improvement before the results match those obtained with larger joint (knee, hip) arthroplasty.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hallux rigidus: Grading and long-term results of operative treatment.J Bone Joint Surg (Am). 2003; 85-A: 2072-2088
- Long-term follow-up of Keller arthroplasty with irradiated costo-chondral implants.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 1998; 88: 1-11
- Capsular interposition arthroplasty for severe hallux valgus.Foot Ankle Int. 1997; 18: 68-70
- Osteochondral autograft transfer of the first metatarsal head: a case report.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2005; 44: 406-411
- Osteochondral autogenous transplantation for an osteochondral defect of the first metatarsal head: a case report.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2005; 44: 152-155
- Management of hallux limitus with distraction of the first metatarsophalangeal joint.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2005; 95: 121-129
- BIOPRO resurfacing endoprosthesis versus periarticular osteotomy for hallux rigidus: short-term follow-up and analysis.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2003; 42: 350-358
- First metatarsophalangeal arthrodesis: a clinical, pedobarographic and gait analysis study.Foot Ankle Int. 2002; 23: 496-502
- Hallux metatarsophalangeal joint arthrodesis using dome shaped reamers and dorsal plate fixation: a prospective study.Foot Ankle Int. 2006; 27: 869-876
- Comparison of arthrodesis and metallic hemiarthroplasty of the hallux metatarsophalangeal joint.J Bone Joint Surg (Am). 2007; 89-A: 1979-1985
- A retrospective analysis of surgical treatment in patients with symptomatic hallux rigidus: long-term follow-up.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2006; 45: 244-251
- The new press-fit ceramic Moje metatarsophalangeal joint replacement: short-term outcomes.Foot. 2004; 14: 124-128
- Early results of ceramic/ceramic fist metatarsophalangeal joint replacement.Foot. 2004; 14: 204-206
- First metatarsophalangeal joint replacement: the method of choice for end-stage hallux rigidus?.Foot Ankle Clin. 2003; 8: 711-721
- Non-constrained titanium-polyethylene total endoprosthesis in the treatment of hallux rigidus. A prospective clinical 2-year follow-up study.Scand J Surg. 2002; 91: 202-207
- First metatarsophalangeal joint replacement using the bio-action great toe implant: intermediate results.Foot Ankle Int. 2005; 26: 1033-1037
- Silicone implant arthroplasty of the great toe: review of the single stem and flexible hinge implants.Clin Orthop. 1979; 143: 30-43
- Clinical rating systems for the ankle-hindfoot, midfoot, hallux and lesser toes.Foot Ankle Int. 1994; 15: 349-353
- Revision arthroplasty for failed first metatarsophalangeal joint arthroplasties with ceramic arthroplasty and impaction bone grafting.Foot Ankle Surg. 2004; 10: 23-27
- Prosthetic replacement arthroplasty as a salvage operation for failed procedures of the first metatarsophalangeal joint: a small series and literature review.Foot. 2004; 17: 174-177
- Poor agreement between prospective and retrospective assessment of hallux surgery using the AOFAS hallux scale.Foot Ankle Int. 2005; 26: 1062-1066
- Reliability and validity of the subjective component of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society clinical rating scales.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2007; 46: 65-74
- The foot function index: a measure of foot pain and disability.J Clin Epidemiol. 1991; 44: 561-570
- Reliability and validity of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society clinical rating scale: a pilot study for the hallux and lesser toes.Foot Ankle Int. 2006; 27: 1014-1019
- Evaluation of the validity of the AOFAS clinical rating systems by correlation to the SF-36.Foot Ankle Int. 2003; 24: 50-55
- Responsiveness of the foot function index, AOFAS clinical rating systems and SF-36 after foot and ankle surgery.Foot Ankle Int. 2006; 27: 930-934
- The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36): II. Psychometric and clinical test of validity in measuring physical and mental health constructs.Med Care. 1993; 3: 247-263
- Correlation of the AOFAS scores with a generic health QUALY score in foot and ankle surgery.Foot Ankle Int. 2007; 28: 494-498
- General outcome measure.in: Pynsent P. Fairbank J. Carr A. Outcome Measures in Orthopaedics. Butterworth-Heinmann, London1993: 59-80
Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency. Screw-fit Ceramic Toe Joint (Metatarsophalangeal) Replacement Prosthesis, pp 1–4, Medical Devices Alert, London, United Kingdom, May 2002.
- The case against first metatarsal-phalangeal joint implant arthroplasty.Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2006; 23: 709-723
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.