A case of a concomitant rupture of the Achilles tendon and superior peroneal retinaculum is presented. This combination of injuries has only been reported once in the available literature. The intraoperative findings revealed a mid-substance failure of the superficial peroneal retinaculum, which is also a rare finding. It is suggested that mid-substance failure of this structure be included within the existing classification scheme for superficial peroneal retinacular tears. The authors also discuss the probable pathoanatomical features of these combined injuries and a proposed mechanism of injury.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
Monteggia GB. Instituzioni Chirurgiche, parte seconda, pp 336-341, Presso Maspero Buochersuccessori dei Galiazzi in Contrada S. Margherita, Milan, Italy, 1803.
- Recurrent subluxation of the peroneal tendons.Am J Sports Med. 2006; 34: 986-992
- Superior retinaculoplasty for recurrent dislocation of peroneal tendons.Foot Ankle Int. 2006; 27: 1074-1078
- DiGiovanni C.W. Greisberg J. Foot and Ankle: Core Knowledge in Orthopaedics. Elsevier Mosby, Philadelphia2007: 215
- Peroneal tendon subluxation in athletes: new exam technique, case reports, and review.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1999; 31: S487-S492
- Incidence of Achilles tendon rupture.Acta Orthop Scand. 1996; 67: 277-279
- The role of recreational sport activity in Achilles tendon rupture: a clinical, pathoanatomical, and sociological study of 292 cases.Am J Sports Med. 1989; 17: 338-343
- Dislocation of the peroneal tendons.Am J Sports Med. 1977; 5: 19-22
- Acute rupture of the peroneal retinaculum.J Bone Joint Surg Am 58-A. 1976; : 670-673
- Congenital dislocation of the peroneal tendons in the calcaneovalgus foot.J Bone Joint Surg Br 65-B. 1983; : 316-319
- Current concepts review: peroneal tendon subluxation and dislocation.Foot Ankle Int. 2007; 28: 1034-1040
- Anatomy of the foot and ankle.Descriptive, Topographic, Functional. ed 2. JB Lippincott Company, Philadelphia1993 (p 127)
- Magnetic resonance and cadaveric findings of the “watershed band” of Achilles tendon.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2001; 40: 132-136
Published online: November 11, 2009
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.