Interphalangeal joint arthrodesis is a common procedure to correct fixed or semifixed lesser toe contracture. The authors present a simple modification to end-to-end interphalangeal joint arthrodesis that increases surface area and enhances construct stability. The technique is most commonly used for the proximal interphalangeal joint and may be combined with any number of fixation techniques.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Lesser ray deformities.in: Banks A.S. Downey M.S. Martin D.E. Miller S.J. McGlamry's Comprehensive Textbook of Foot and Ankle Surgery. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia2001: 322-371
- Operation for the correction of hammer toe.NY Med J. 1910; 91: 649-650
- Hammer-toe.Postgrad Med J. 1931; 68: 130-132
- An operation for the correction of hammer-toe and claw-toe.J Bone Joint Surg. 1938; 20: 715-719
- Techniques of digital arthrodesis: revisiting the old and discovering the new.Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2004; 21: 17-50
- Interphalangeal joint arthrodesis of the lesser toes.Foot Ankle Clin. 2002; 7: 43-48
- Operative procedures for the correction of hammertoe, claw toe, and mallet toe: a literature review.Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 1996; 13: 211-220
- Peg in hole arthrodesis.J Am Podiatr Assoc. 1983; 73: 187-195
- A comparison of end-to-end versus “V” arthrodesis procedures for the correction of digital deformities.Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 1996; 13: 239-250
- Peg-in-hole, end-to-end, and V arthrodesis: a comparison of digital stabilization in fresh cadaveric specimens.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2001; 91: 63-67
- Digital “V” arthrodesis.J Foot Ankle Surg. 1993; 32: 473-479
- Concave-convex arthrodesis in joints of the hand.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1970; 46: 368-371
- Buried Kirschner wire fixation in digital fusion.J Foot Ankle Surg. 1995; 34: 567-570
- Hammer toe correction using an absorbable intramedullary pin.Foot Ankle Int. 2007; 28: 916-920
- Absorbable pin: a new method of fixation for digital arthrodesis.J Foot Surg. 1990; 29: 122-127
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.