Brachymetatarsia is not an unusual deformity and is often associated with functional and cosmetic issues that warrant surgical reconstruction. Lengthening of the affected metatarsal can be undertaken on an acute basis in a single operative procedure that involves the use of a bone graft or by means of gradual callus distraction. Because of the risk of metatarsophalangeal joint malalignment, it is important for the surgeon to take steps to stabilize the joint during the lengthening process. In this report, a percutaneous method of callus distraction for repair of brachymetatarsia and maintenance of metatarsophalangeal joint alignment is presented.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Metatarsal lengthening.Foot Ankle Clin. 2001; 6: 499-518
- Distraction osteogenesis for congenitally short lesser metatarsals.Foot Ankle Int. 1995; 16: 196-200
- Clinical Biomechanics: Normal and Abnormal Function of the Foot. Vol 2. Clinical Biomechanics Corp., Los Angeles, CA1977 (p 455)
- Brachymetatarsia: a surgical treatment.J Am Podiatr Assoc. 1969; 59: 259-264
- Metatarsal lengthening: case report and review of the literature.Foot Ankle Int. 1997; 18: 739-745
- Brachymetatarsia with brachymesodactyly.J Foot Surg. 1983; 22: 104-107
- A correction for short fourth metatarsal.J Am Podiatr Assoc. 1983; 73: 196-200
- Brachymetatarsia: a review of the literature and case report.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 1986; 76: 413-416
- The management of brachymetatarsia.J Bone Joint Surg Br 85-B:683–690. 2003;
- Metatarsal lengthening by use of autogenous bone graft and internal wire compression fixation: a preliminary report.J Foot Surg. 1978; 17: 60-66
- Surgical correction of congenital hypoplastic metatarsals.J Am Podiatr Assoc. 1979; 69: 241-244
- Brachymetatarsia: a new surgical approach.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 1991; 81: 10-17
- Diaphyseal lengthening for shortness of the toe.Foot Ankle. 1985; 5: 251-256
- Metatarsal lengthening by distraction osteogenesis: a report of two cases.Foot Ankle. 1992; 13: 536-539
- Metatarsal lengthening by callotasis during the growth phase.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1995; 77-B: 602-607
- A case of short metatarsal bones lengthened by callus distraction.Acta Orthop Scand. 1988; 59: 194-196
- Elongation of the first metatarsal.J Pediatr Orthop. 1983; 3: 508-510
- Brachymetatarsia of the first metatarsal treated by surgical lengthening.J Pediatr Orthop. 1992; 12: 780-785
- Complications following metatarsal lengthening by callus distraction for brachymetatarsia.J Pediatr Orthop. 1999; 19: 394-397
- Ilizarov applications in foot and ankle surgery.Adv Orthop Surg. 1992; 16: 162-174
- Ilizarov technology.in: Stauffer R. Advances in Operative Orthopaedics. Vol 1. Mosby-Year Book, St. Louis, MO1993: 243-287
- The treatment of congenital brachymetatarsia by one-stage lengthening.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1998; 80-B: 1040-1044
- Treatment of brachymetatarsia by callus distraction (callotasis).Ann Plast Surg. 1994; 32: 191-199
Published online: December 21, 2009
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.