The aim of this retrospective study is to evaluate the prognostic value of American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) classification with regard to perioperative variables of cardiac complications, pulmonary complications, and mortality in patients undergoing limb salvage procedures with monitored intravenous sedation and foot and ankle blocks. None of the ASA 3 or 4 patients experienced any pulmonary or cardiac complication; no patient required invasive monitoring or postoperative cardiac care unit admission. We suggest that the performance of peripheral foot and ankle blocks with monitored intravenous sedation appears to be a safe and useful option for ASA 3 and 4 patients undergoing limb-preservation surgery.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- An assessment of interrater reliability of the ASA physical status classification in pediatric surgical patients.Paediatr Anaesth. 2006; 16: 928-931
- ASA classification and perioperative variables as predictors of postoperative outcome.Br J Anaesth. 1996; 77: 217-222
- The estimation of surgical risk.Med Clin North Am. 1979; 63: 1131-1143
- Physical status score and trends in anesthetic complications.J Clin Epidemiol. 1988; 41: 83-90
- Prediction of outcome of anaesthesia in patients over 40 years: a multifactorial risk index.Stat Med. 1988; 7 (947-554)
- Anesthesia for foot and ankle surgery.Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2002; 19 (vii): 125-147
- Outpatient lower extremity infusions.Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2002; 16: 311-320
- Midfoot field block anesthesia with monitored intravenous sedation in forefoot surgery.Foot Ankle Int. 1999; 20: 583-586
- Hip fracture surgery: is the pre-operative American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) score a predictor of functional outcome?.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2002; 14: 389-394
- Determinants of catecholamine and cortisol responses to lower extremity revascularization. The PIRAT Study Group.Anesthesiology. 1993; 79: 1202-1209
- Cardiac outcome after peripheral vascular surgery. Comparison of general and regional anesthesia.Anesthesiology. 1996; 84: 3-113
- Perioperative morbidity in patients randomized to epidural or general anesthesia for lower extremity vascular surgery. Perioperative Ischemia Randomized Anesthesia Trial Study Group.Anesthesiology. 1993; 79: 422-434
Published online: February 05, 2010
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.