Level of Clinical Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
- Rupture of the Achilles tendon.J Bone Joint Surg (Am). 1999; 81-A: 1019-1036
- Diagnosis and treatment of acute ruptures of the Achilles tendon. Current concepts review.Acta Orthop Belg. 1999; 65: 458-471
- Total Achilles tendon rupture. A review.Sports Med. 1998; 25: 79-100
- Extracellular matrix bioscaffolds for orthopaedic applications. A comparative histologic study.J Bone Joint Surg (Am). 2006; 88-A: 2673-2686
- Biologics in rotator cuff surgery: management of rotator cuff tears with an extracellular matrix patch.Tech Orthop. 2007; 22: 43-54
- Tendon graft substitutes—rotator cuff patches.Sports Med Arthrosc. 2006; 14: 185-190
- Early inflammatory reaction after rotator cuff repair with a porcine small intestine submucosal implant: a report of 4 cases.Am J Sports Med. 2005; 33: 907-911
- Porcine small intestine submucosa (SIS) is not an acellular collagenous matrix and contains porcine DNA: possible implications in human implantation.J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2005; 73: 61-67
Grove JR, Hardy MA. Autograft, allograft and xenograft options in the treatment of neglected Achilles tendon ruptures: a historical review with illustration of surgical repair. Foot Ankle J 1(5):1, 2008. Available at http://faoj.wordpress.com/2008/05/01. Accessed July 13, 2009.
Turner TM, Urban RM, Hall DJ, Dahlmeier EL. Achilles tendon repair augmented with a decellularized porcine dermal graft compared to two other collagen xenografts. Society For Biomaterials Annual Meeting and Exposition 2009, April 22–25, Abstract 147.
- Evaluation of a cross-linked acellular porcine dermal patch for rotator cuff repair augmentation in an ovine model.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2007; 16: S184-S190
- An assessment of porcine dermal xenograft as an augmentation graft in the treatment of extensive rotator cuff tears.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008; 17: 35S-39S
- Autologous platelet-rich plasma for wound and osseous healing: a review of the literature and commercially available products.Adv Ther. 2006; 23: 218-237
- Platelet-rich plasma: evidence to support its use.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 62: 489-496
- Biologic augmentation of rotator cuff tendon repair.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2007; 16: S191-S197
- Porcine small intestine submucosa augmentation of surgical repair of chronic two-tendon rotator cuff tears. A randomized, controlled trial.J Bone Joint Surg (Am). 2006; 88-A: 1238-1244
- Adverse effect of porcine collagen interposition after trapeziectomy: a comparative study.J Hand Surg (Br). 2001; 26-B: 159-164
- Porcine collagen crosslinking, degradation and its capability for fibroblast adhesion and proliferation.J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2004; 15: 925-932
- Six-month magnetic resonance imaging follow-up of large and massive rotator cuff repairs reinforced with porcine small intestinal submucosa.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2004; 13: 538-541
- Control of material stiffness during degradation for constructs made of absorbable polymer fibers.J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2003; 67: 697-701
- Biomechanics of synthetic augmentation of ligament reconstructions.Clin Mater. 1994; 15: 23-27
- Rotator cuff repair using an acellular dermal matrix graft: an in vivo study in a canine model.Arthroscopy. 2006; 22: 700-709
- Ultimate tensile failure loads of a human dermal allograft rotator cuff augmentation.Arthroscopy. 2008; 24: 20-24
Omae H, Steinmann SP, Zobitz ME, Wongtriratanachai P, Sperling JW, An K. Biomechanical effect of rotator cuff augmentation with acellular dermal matrix graft: a cadaver study. Proceedings of the 54th Orthopedic Research Society Meeting, San Francisco, 2008, Abstract 1526.
Turner T, Urban RM, Romeo AA, Hall DJ, Inoue N. Repair of a rotator cuff tendon defect using an acellular human dermal graft in a large primate model. Proceedings of the 54th Orthopedic Research Society Meeting, San Francisco, 2008, Abstract 1528.
- A preliminary study on the effects of acellular tissue graft augmentation in acute Achilles tendon ruptures.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2008; 47: 8-12
- GraftJacket augmentation of chronic Achilles tendon ruptures.Orthopedics. 2004; 27: s151-s153
- Tissue-engineered rotator cuff tendon using porcine small intestine submucosa. Histologic and mechanical evaluation in dogs.Am J Sports Med. 2001; 29: 175-184
- The effects of augmentation with swine small intestine submucosa on tendon healing under tension: histologic and mechanical evaluations in sheep.Am J Sports Med. 2006; 34: 275-280
- The results of 163 Achilles tendon ruptures treated by a minimally invasive surgical technique and functional aftertreatment.Injury. 2007; 38: 839-844
- Can platelet-rich plasma enhance tendon repair? A cell culture study.Am J Sports Med. 2008; 36: 1171-1178
- New insights into and novel applications for platelet-rich fibrin therapies.Trends Biotechnol. 2006; 24: 227-234
- Matrix metalloproteases: a role in overuse tendinopathies.Br J Sports Med. 2005; 39: 789-791
- Comparison of surgically repaired Achilles tendon tears using platelet-rich fibrin matrices.Am J Sports Med. 2007; 35: 245-251
- Long-term results after operatively treated Achilles tendon rupture: fibrin glue versus suture.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2008; 47: 392-399
Financial Disclosure: Zimmer Orthobiologics, Inc., provided a research grant that funded this investigation.
Conflict of Interest: Hali Wang, PhD, is employed by Zimmer Orthobiologics, Inc., 9301 Amberglen Blvd., Suite 100, Austin, TX 78729.
This study was approved by the Animal Care and Use Committee at Colorado State University (CSU).