Anterolateral ankle impingement is due to entrapment of pathological tissues in the anterolateral aspect of the joint. The aim of this study was to evaluate the results of arthroscopic diagnosis and treatment of anterolateral ankle impingement. Twenty patients with anterolateral ankle impingement who had arthroscopic debridement were included in this prospective study, including 16 men and 4 women with a mean age of 35.8 years. Synovial hypertrophy was found in 13 patients, impinging distal fascicle of the anterior inferior tibiofibular ligament in 2 patients, torn anterior inferior tibiofibular ligament in 3 patients, and fibrofatty scar tissue in 2 patients. Seven patients had associated talar cartilage damage. Four patients had additional inversion injuries after the arthroscopic procedures. Final results were excellent in 11 patients, good in 6 patients, fair in 2 patients, and poor in 1 patient. One of the 7 patients with cartilage damage had excellent results, 5 patients had good results, and the remaining patient had fair results. Two of the 3 patients with complete tear of the anterior inferior tibiofibular ligament had fair results, and the other had a poor result. One of the 4 patients with additional inversion injuries had good results, 2 had fair results, and 1 had a poor result. In conclusion, ankle arthroscopy is useful in the diagnosis and treatment of anterolateral ankle impingement. Factors that negatively affect final outcome are associated chondral lesions of the talus, associated syndesmotic lesions, and new inversion injuries after the arthroscopic procedure.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Anterior tibiotalar impingement syndromes in dancers.Foot Ankle. 1982; 3: 69-73
- The distal fascicle of the anterior inferior tibiofibular ligament as a cause of tibiotalar impingement syndrome: a current concepts review.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2007; 15: 465-471
- Ankle impingement syndromes.Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2002; 6: 133-139
- Persistently painful sprained ankle.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 1994; 2: 270-280
- Athlete's ankle.J Bone Joint Surg. 1943; 25: 220-223
- Footballer's ankle.J Bone Joint Surg. 1950; 32[Br]: 68-69
- Arthroscopic treatment of anterolateral impingement of the ankle.Am J Sports Med. 1991; 19: 440-446
- Arthroscopic treatment of soft tissue impingement of the ankle in athletes.Arthroscopy. 1997; 13: 492-498
- Internal derangement of talofibular component of the ankle.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1950; 91: 193-200
- Talar impingement by the anteroinferior tibiofibular ligament. A cause of chronic pain in the ankle after inversion sprain.J Bone Joint Surg. 1990; 72[Am]: 55-59
- The distal fascicle of the anterior inferior tibiofibular ligament as a cause of anterolateral ankle impingement.Acta Orthop Scand. 1999; 70: 478-482
- Arthroscopic treatment of synovial impingement of the ankle.Am J Sports Med. 1993; 21: 186-189
- Arthroscopic treatment of anterolateral ankle impingement.Arthroscopy. 1994; 10: 215-218
- Arthroscopic treatment of chronic synovitis of the ankle.Arthroscopy. 1989; 5: 110-114
- Arthroscopic treatment for impingement of the anterolateral soft tissues of the ankle.J Bone Joint Surg. 2000; 82[Br]: 1019-1021
- Ankle arthroscopy: outcome in 79 consecutive patients.Arthroscopy. 1996; 12: 565-573
- Development and reliability of a standard rating system for outcome measurement of foot and ankle disorders I: development of standard rating system.J Orthop Sci. 2005; 10: 457-465
- Arthroscopic treatment of talar impingement by the accessory anteroinferior tibiofibular ligament.Arthroscopy. 1996; 12: 384-385
- Arthroscopic treatment of sports related synovitis of the ankle.Am J Sports Med. 1992; 20: 496-498
- Soft tissue pathology.in: Guhl J.F. Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy. Slack, Thorofare1993: 83-105
- Arthroscopic treatment of anterolateral soft tissue impingement of the ankle: evaluation of factors affecting outcome.Arthroscopy. 2005; 21: 317-322
- Comparison of four evaluation systems used for ankle injuries.Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2002; 36: 87-91
- Development and reliability of a standard rating system for outcome measurement of foot and ankle disorders II: interclinician and intraclinician reliability and validity of the newly established standard rating scales and Japanese Orthopaedic Association rating scale.J Orthop Sci. 2005; 10: 466-474
- Treatment of anterolateral impingements of the ankle joint by arthroscopy.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2007; 15: 1150-1154
- Distal tibiofibular ligaments: analysis of function.Acta Orthop Scand. 1982; 53: 681-686
Published online: March 29, 2010
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.