Cementoplasty is a well-established intervention for symptomatic control of localized skeletal metastases; however, its use has never been reported for metastases in the foot. We report on a patient with symptomatic skeletal metastases throughout the foot in which cementoplasty, in conjunction with internal fixation, was used to alleviate pain and enable comfortable ambulation.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Metastatic skeletal disease of the foot: case reports and literature review.Foot Ankle Int. 2008; 29: 699-710
- Methylmethacrylate as an adjunct in internal fixation of pathological fractures. Experience with three hundred and seventy-five cases.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1976; 58: 1047-1055
- Validation of the foot and ankle outcome score for ankle ligament reconstruction.Foot Ankle Int. 2001; 22: 788-794
British Orthopaedic Association Working Party. Metastatic Bone Disease: A Guide to Good Practice. British Orthopaedic Association (London), December 2001.
- Cementoplasty in the management of extraspinal bone metastases: our experience.Radiol Med. 2008; 13: 1018-1028
- Treatment of metastatic disease of the tibia.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003; 415S: S219-S229
- Metastatic skeletal disease distal to the elbow and knee.Clin Orthop Relat Res (206). 1986; : 94-99
- Functional outcome in a contemporary series of major lower extremity amputations.J Vasc Surg. 2003; 38: 7-14
- Evaluation of the feasibility of and results of measuring health-status changes in patients undergoing surgical treatment for skeletal metastases.J Orthop Res. 2003; 18: 1-9
Published online: April 26, 2010
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
Financial disclosure: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.