Intraarticular osteoid osteomas can simulate several other traumatic or degenerative pathologies of the joint with delay in diagnosis. We report the clinical features, radiographic and histopathological findings, the technical aspects of arthroscopic excision, and results of surgery in a 28-year-old woman who had an intraarticular osteoid osteoma of her left ankle, in whom the initial diagnosis was erroneous and delayed 1 year. Arthroscopy allowed minimally invasive complete excision of the osteoid osteoma, with a short postoperative rehabilitation and excellent functional results.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Intra- and juxta-articular osteoid osteoma: a diagnostic challenge: misdiagnosis and successful treatment: a report of four cases.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2006; 126: 660-667
- Arthroscopic assisted resection of juxta-articular osteoid osteoma.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2007; 46: 470-473
- Osteoid osteoma of the talus. A case report and literature review.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 1987; 77: 512-516
- En-bloc retrograde resection of an osteoid osteoma of the patella using computed tomography under arthroscopic control.J Knee Surg. 2008; 21: 136-140
- Instrcapsular epiphyseal osteoid osteoma of ankle joint. A case report.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1975; 108: 200-203
- Percutaneous CT guided resection of osteoid osteoma of the tibial plafond.Foot Ankle Int. 2000; 21: 596-598
- Giant extraskeletal osteochondroma of the plantar midfoot arch.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2008; 47: 362-367
- Intraosseous glomus tumor of the great toe: a case report with review of the literature.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2008; 47: 299-301
- Giant solitary osteochondroma of the inferior medial calcaneal tubercle: a case report and review of the literature.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2008; 47: 206-212
- High-grade intramedullary osteosarcoma of the talus: case report.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2007; 46: 480-483
- Arthroscopic removal of an osteoid osteoma at the talar neck.Arthroscopy. 1998; 14: 405-409
- Arthroscopic removal of the osteoid osteoma on the neck of the talus.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2004; 12: 246-249
- Arthroscopic removal of a juxtaarticular osteoid osteoma of the talar neck.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2003; 42: 359-362
- Arthroscopic removal of a subperiosteal osteoid osteoma of the talus.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2007; 97: 238-243
- Osteoid osteoma: an uncommon cause of foot pain.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2007; 97: 405-409
- Osteoid osteoma in a 20-year-old soccer player.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2003; 93: 344-346
Published online: May 21, 2010
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.