Low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma is a rare tumor, which most commonly arises from the deep soft tissues of the lower extremities in young men. Diagnosis of this tumor can be difficult because of its deceptively benign histopathologic appearance. Specifically, the lesion is characterized by alternating fibrous and myxoid areas with variable cellularity and a whorled growth pattern. Like many soft tissue tumors, low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma is also characterized by strong immunoreactivity to the human proto-oncogene BCL-2. Cytogenetically, the lesion has also been associated with the t (7,16) (q33;p11) translocation, with the characteristic resultant FUS and CREB3L2 fusion gene. In this report, we describe the rare case of a low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma that appeared to develop as a primary malignancy in the neck of the talus of a young man who presented with recurrent ankle pain after a previous surgery for a cystic lesion at the same site.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma: a report of two metastasizing neoplasms having a deceptively benign appearance.Am J Clin Pathol. 1987; 88: 615-619
- Pathology and genetics of tumours of soft tissue and bone.in: Fletcher C.D.M. Unni K.K. Mertens F. World Health Organization Classification of Tumors. IARC Press, Lyon2002: 104-105
- Clinicopathologic and molecular genetic characterization of low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma, and cloning of a novel FUS/CREB3L1 fusion gene.Lab Invest. 2005; 85: 408-415
- Low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma arising in the big toe.Pathol Int. 2005; 55: 802-806
- Tumors of the foot and ankle: analysis of 196 cases.J Foot Ankle Surg. 1997; 36: 403-408
- Low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma and hyalinizing spindle cell tumor with giant rosettes: a clinicopathologic study of 73 cases supporting their identity and assessing the impact of high-grade areas.Am J Surg Pathol. 2000; 24: 1353-1360
- The chimeric FUS/CREB3l2 gene is specific for low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma.Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2004; 40: 218-228
- Intramuscular low grade fibromyxoid sarcoma: a case report.Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2009; 25: 448-454
Published online: May 31, 2010
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.