A number of studies have stressed the importance of platelets in acute and chronic wound healing, although their clinical utility remains controversial. To analyze the use of autologous platelet gel in the surgical treatment of ingrown toenails, a within-patient clinical trial was conducted. Thirty-five healthy volunteers (70 feet) underwent surgical treatment for bilateral ingrown hallux nails. Recovery time (days), postoperative pain (analog chromatic scale), and inflammation (digital circumference) at 48 hours postoperative were the outcomes of interest. Recovery time and postoperative pain were less in the experimental group, although the differences of means were not statistically significant. Based on these results, we suggest that local application of APG in surgical ingrown toenail wounds may produce a slight increase in acute inflammatory phase dermal wound healing, but it does not cause a statistically significant reduction in recovery times or postoperative pain.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Efficacy and safety of the use of autologous plasma rich in platelets for tissue regeneration: a systematic review.Transfusion. 2008; 49: 44-56
- Autologous platelets as a source for healing and tissue regeneration.Thromb Haemost. 2004; 91: 4-15
- Growth factors and cytokines in wound healing.Wound Repair Regen. 2008; 16: 585-601
- Platelet-rich plasma treatment and hemostasis in patients with hemorrhagic risk.Minerva Stomatol. 2006; 55: 599-609
- Evaluation of autologous platelet-poor plasma gel as a hemostatic adjunct after posterior iliac crest bone harvest.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007; 65: 1734-1738
- Autologous platelet gel applications during cardiovascular surgery: effect on wound healing.J Am Soc Extr Corp Tech. 2005; 37: 148-152
- Platelet gel for the surgical treatment of onychocryptosis.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2008; 98: 296-301
- Proliferation-promoting effect of platelet-rich plasma on human adipose-derived stem cells and human dermal fibroblasts.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008; 122: 1352-1360
- The use of autologous PRP gel as an aid in the management of acute trauma wounds.Injury. 2009; 40: 801-805
- Effect of topical autologous platelet-rich fibrin versus no intervention on epithelialization of donor sites and meshed split-thickness skin autografts: a randomized clinical trial.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008; 122: 1431-1440
- The healing effects of autologous platelet gel on acute human skin wounds.Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2008; 9: 174-183
- The effects of autologous platelet gel on wound healing.Ear Nose Throat J. 2003; 82: 598-602
- Autologous platelet gel and platelet-poor plasma reduce pain with total shoulder arthroplasty.J Extra Corpor Technol. 2007; 39: 177-182
- Completely autologous platelet gel in breast reduction surgery: a blinded, randomized, controlled trial.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007; 119: 1159-1166
- No positive effect of autologous platelet gel after total knee arthroplasty.Acta Orthop. 2009; 80: 557-562
- Has platelet-rich plasma any role in anterior cruciate ligament allograft healing?.Arthroscopy. 2009; 25: 1206-1213
- Beyond hemostasis: the role of platelets in inflammation, malignancy and infection.Cardiovasc Hematol Disord Drug Targets. 2008; 8: 99-117
- Platelet-neutrophil-interactions: linking hemostasis and inflammation.Blood Rev. 2007; 21: 99-111
- Potent anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective effects of TGF-beta1 are mediated through the inhibition of ERK and p47phox-Ser345 phosphorylation and translocation in microglia.J Immunol. 2008; 181: 660-668
- Histologic effects of autologous platelet gel in skin flap healing.Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2007; 9: 260-263
- Autologous platelet gel fails to show beneficial effects on wound healing after saphenectomy in CABG patients.J Extra Corpor Technol. 2008; 40: 196-202
- Autologous platelet gel in coronary artery bypass grafting: effects on surgical wound healing.J Extra Corpor Technol. 2007; 39: 31-38
- An immediate, allergic skin reaction to aprotinin after reexposure to fibrin sealant.Transfusion. 2000; 40: 302-305
- Acquired FV inhibitors: a needless iatrogenic complication of bovine thrombin exposure.Transfusion. 2002; 42: 18-26
- Estudios experimentales II: otros diseños.in: Métodos de investigación clínica y epidemiológica. Edited by JM Argimon Pallás, J Jiménez Villa, Elsevier España, S.A, Madrid2004: 49-65
- The Mozena classification system and treatment algorithm for ingrown hallux nails.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2002; 92: 131-135
- Analogue chromatic continuous scale (ACCS): a new method for pain assessment.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 1983; 1: 337-340
- Illustrated technique for complete removal of nail matrix and hyponychium without skin incisions (Suppan nail technique no.2).J Am Podiatry Assoc. 1975; 65: 481-489
- Periungual bacterial flora in the human foot.J Foot Surg. 1991; 30: 253-263
- Wound healing and infection in nail matrix phenolization wounds. Does topical medication make a difference?.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2001; 91: 230-233
- (Plasma rico en factores de crecimiento).Dental Dialogue. 2004; 3: 1-15
- Identification of an optimal concentration of platelet gel for promoting angiogenesis in human endothelial cells.Transfusion. 2009; 49: 771-778
Published online: June 04, 2010
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.