A case of a high fibular fracture in association with a triplane fracture in a 12-year-old boy is presented and this unique fracture pattern examined. Whether from blunt trauma or an external rotation mechanism, it appears that trans-syndesmotic fixation is not needed to satisfactorily repair this injury. Because of the rarity of the condition, there is limited previously published information describing this particular injury, although surgeons should be aware of it and the underlying mechanism of the fracture.
Level of Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Triplane fracture of the distal tibial epiphysis: long-term follow-up.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1988; 70: 967-976
- Fractures of the distal tibial epiphysis in adolescence.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1983; 65: 438-444
- Triplane fracture associated with a proximal third fibula fracture.Am J Orthop June. 1996; : 449-451
- Fractures of the ankle II: combined experimental-surgical and experimental-roentgenologic investigations.Arch Surg. 1950; 60: 957-985
- Rang's Children's Fractures.ed 3. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2005
- The pediatric triplane ankle fracture.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2007; 15: 738-747
- Maisonneuve fracture of the fibula.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1976; 58: 337-342
- The Frenchman's fibular fracture (Maisonneuve fracture).J Am Coll Emerg Phys. 1979; 8: 404-406
- Maisonneuve fracture with an associated distal fibular fracture, a case report.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1995; 317: 193-198
- Report of the case of a rare pattern of Maisonneuve fracture.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2008; 47: 160-162
- The Maisonneuve fracture.J Foot Ankle Surg. 1995; 34: 422-428
- Recherches sur la fracture du perone.Arch Gen Med. 1840; 7: 165-187
- Maisonneuve fracture associated with a bimalleolar ankle fracture-dislocation: a case report.J Orthop Trauma. 2002; 16: 525-528
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.