Rupture of the tibialis posterior tendon is widely believed to result from trauma in the presence of preexisting degenerative changes. We report a case of adult-acquired flatfoot in an otherwise healthy 19-year-old man who sustained a fracture of the medial malleolus.
Level of Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Rupture of the posterior tibial tendon causing flat foot. Surgical treatment.J Bone Joint Surg. 1985; 67-A: 556-561
- Adult acquired flatfoot deformity. Treatment of dysfunction of the posterior tibial tendon.J Bone Joint Surg. 1996; 78-A: 780-792
- An unusual cause of posterior tibial tendon degeneration.Foot Ankle Int. 1998; 19: 177-179
- Possible epidemiological factors associated with rupture of the posterior tibial tendon.Foot Ankle. 1992; 13: 70-79
- Acquired flat-foot secondary to posterior tibial tendon pathology.J Bone Joint Surg. 1986; 68-A: 95-102
- Pathology and pathogenesis of the disseminated angiopathy of diabetes mellitus: on the nature and treatment of diabetes.in: Leibel B.S. Wrenshall G.A. International Congressional Series, no. 86. Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam1965: 397-408
- The hemodynamic consequences of adaptive structural changes of the resistance vessels in hypertension.Clin Sci. 1971; 41: 1-12
- Tendon and muscle ruptures. Clinical and experimental studies on the cause and location of subcutaneous ruptures.J Bone Joint Surg. 1933; 15: 705-722
- Posterior tibial tendon insufficiency.in: Myerson M. Current Therapy in Foot and Ankle Surgery. Mosby-Year Book, St Louis1993: 123-135
- Clinical significance of magnetic resonance imaging in preoperative planning for reconstruction of posterior tibial tendon ruptures.Foot Ankle. 1992; 13: 208-214
- Rupture of posterior tibial tendon: CT and MR imaging with surgical correlation.Radiology. 1988; 169: 229-235
- Rupture of the posterior tibial tendon: CT and surgical findings.Radiology. 1988; 167: 489-493
- Ultrasound in the diagnosis of posterior tibial tendon pathology.Foot Ankle Int. 1996; 17: 555-558
- Ultrasound diagnosis of the posterior tibial tendon.Orthopade. 2002; 31: 328-329
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.