Herniation of the abductor hallucis muscle has rarely been reported in the literature. This condition causes localized pain, especially while weight bearing, as a result of a complex cascade of biomechanical events directly related to loss of integrity of the medial wall of the foot. The authors present a case of a flexor retinaculum tear with subsequent herniation of the abductor hallucis muscle. When conservative treatment options failed to provide significant relief, surgical intervention was performed, which revealed ischemic muscle tissue and a partial flexor retinaculum tear. The nonviable muscle was surgically debrided and the fascial defect was repaired with a polypropylene nonabsorbable synthetic surgical mesh. This herniorrhaphy reestablished medial compartment support, thus allowing the patient to return to pain-free ambulation.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Demographic, classificatory, and socioeconomic aspects of hernia repair in the United States.Surg Clin North Am. 1993; 73: 413
- Retaining systems and compartments.in: Sarrafian S.K. Anatomy of the Foot and Ankle. Lippincott, Philadelphia1983: 119-120
- Unusual etiology of a foot hernia: a case report.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 1972; 62: 26-28
- Abductor hallucis myocele: a discussion and case presentation.J Am Podiatry Assoc. 1981; 71: 333-337
- Ischemic necrosis of muscle (acute anterior compartment syndrome) following repair of anterior compartment muscle hernias.R I Med J. 1968; 51: 620-621
- Herniorrhaphy of the foot: a case report.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 1968; 58: 516-517
- Muscle hernia of the leg: a study of 21 cases and 38 hernias.US Naval Med Bull. 1943; 41: 404-409
- The unified theory of hernia formation.Hernia. 2004; 8: 171-176
- Quantitative analysis of collagen and elastic fibers in the transversalis fascia in direct and indirect inguinal hernia.Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo. 2002; 57: 265-270
- Magnetic resonance imaging of hereditary hernias of the peroneus longus muscle.Skeletal Radiol. 1995; 24: 601-614
- On muscular hernia of leg.Ada Chir Scand. 1929; 65: 97-120
- Electron microscopic study on the elastic and elastic related fibres in the human fascia transversalis at different ages.Gegenbaurs Morphol Jahrb. 1990; 136: 645-652
- Metastatic emphysema: a mechanism for acquiring inguinal herniation.Ann Surg. 1981; 194: 270-278
- Calcaneodynia—herniation.J Am Podiatry Assoc. 1978; 67: 646-650
- Compartment syndrome with muscle necrosis following repair of hernia of tibialis anterior: case report.Acta Chir Scand. 1987; 153: 695
- Anterior compartment syndrome following muscle hernia repair.Arch Surg. 1973; 106: 97-99
- Tibialis anterior muscle hernia: a rationale for treatment.Can J Surg. 1987; 30: 79-80
- The treatment of muscle hernias by fascial splitting.Br J Plast Surg. 1976; 29: 291-294
- Polypropylene mesh repair of iatrogenic thigh hernias.Injury. 1998; 29: 478
- Surgical repair of an anterior tibialis muscle hernia with Mersilene mesh.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1993; 91: 154-157
- Bilateral multiple muscle hernias of the leg repaired with Marlex mesh.Br J Plast Surg. 1994; 47: 444-446
- Use of Marlex mesh in the repair of muscle hernias of the leg: case report.Am Surg. 1965; 31: 570
- Symptomatic forearm muscle hernia: repair by autologous fascia lata inlay.Ann Plast Surg. 1999; 43: 204-206
- Magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of anterior tibialis muscle herniation.Clin Orthop. 1989; 244: 249-253
- Sonographic examination of muscle herniation.J Ultrasound Med. 1995; 14: 357-360
- Dynamic ultrasound findings of bilateral anterior tibialis muscle herniation in a pediatric patient.Pediatr Radiol. 2001; 31: 753-755
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.