Metatarsalgia is an increasingly common condition seen in the outpatient setting. A number of conservative and surgical management options are available for this condition. We present an interesting case that was unsuccessfully treated with‘dermal filler.’ To our knowledge, we have not found any published material in peer-reviewed journals documenting the use of collagen injections in the treatment of metatarsalgia. The authors feel that the lesson learned from this case should be highlighted for other foot and ankle surgeons.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Plantar fat pad atrophy: a cause of metatarsalgia?.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2001; 40: 21-27
- Plantar fasciitis: diagnosis and conservative management.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 1997; 5: 109-117
- Common foot disorders.Clin Med Res. 2005; 3: 116-119
- Plantar fat-pad displacement in neuropathic diabetic patients with toe deformity. A magnetic resonance imaging study.Diabetes Care. 2004; 24: 2376-2381
- Conservative management of metatarsal and heel pain in the adult foot.Orthopedics. 1987; 10: 137-142
- Metatarsalgia and rheumatoid arthritis—a randomized, single blind, sequential trial comparing 2 types of foot orthoses and supportive shoes.J Rheumatol. 2000; 27: 1643-1647
- Metatarsal osteotomy for metatarsalgia.J Bone Joint Surg (Br). 1975; 57-B: 187-192
- The surgical management of central metatarsalgia.Foot Ankle Int. 2002; 23: 415-419
- Injectable silicone and the foot: a 41-year clinical and histologic history.Derm Surg. 2005; 31: 1555-1560
- Collagen injection therapy for urinary incontinence.Urol Clin North Am. 1994; 21: 177-182
- Correcting vocal fold immobility by autologous collagen injection for voice rehabilitation. A short-term study.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1999; 108: 788-793
- Temporary granulomatous inflammation following collagen implantation.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2001; 29: 238-241
Published online: September 20, 2010
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.