Synovial chondromatosis is an uncommon, benign lesion of nodular cartilaginous neoplastic development of the synovium that can lead to loose bodies and arthritic degeneration if left untreated. Although very rare, malignant transformation to chondrosarcoma can occur. Primary and secondary forms of synovial chondromatosis also exist, and each has distinct clinical, radiographic, and histologic characteristics. In this article, we describe a case of extensive primary synovial chondromatosis of the ankle that was asymptomatic until just before presentation, and that was treated by means of open synovectomy with excision of the osteochondromatous lesions within the joint.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tenosynovial (extra-articular) chondromatosis: an analysis of 37 cases of an under recognized clinicopathologic entity with a strong predilection for the hands and feet and a high local recurrence rate.Am J Surg Pathol. 2003; 27: 1260-1268
- Imaging of synovial chondromatosis with radiologic-pathologic correlation.RadioGraphics. 2007; 27: 1465-1488
- Arthroscopic treatment of synovial chondromatosis of the ankle.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2007; 46: 192-195
- Synovial osteochondromatosis involvement in post-traumatic ankle injury.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2008; 98: 70-74
- Synovial chondromatosis of the foot.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004; 423: 186-190
- Bone erosion in synovial chondromatosis.Radiology. 2006; 161: 749-752
- A case report of bilateral synovial chondromatosis of the ankle.Chiropr Osteopat. 2007; 15: 1-7
- Synovial chondromatosis of the subtalar joint and tenosynovial chondromatosis of the posterior ankle.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2006; 96: 59-62
- Clinics in diagnostic imaging (122).Singapore Med J. 2008; 49: 430-434
- Malignant transformation of the synovial chondromatosis of the shoulder to chondrosarcoma.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007; 89: 1321-1328
- Soft-tissue lumps and bumps.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003; 48: 1142-1155
- Synovial chondromatosis and chondrosarcoma: a diagnostic dilemma.Sarcoma. 2003; 7: 69-73
Published online: September 20, 2010
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.