Tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis is a technically demanding procedure that can be associated with a high number of complications, including nonunion. Bone grafting is commonly used in arthrodesis procedures to decrease the risk of nonunion. In this article, we describe a technique that uses a reamer-irrigator-aspirator (RIA) method for procurement of autogenous bone graft for use in tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis fixated with a retrograde intramedullary nail. Using the RIA technique, autogenous bone graft can be readily obtained without the need for additional incisions and dissection, thereby minimizing the need for additional sources of bone graft.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Complications of ankle and tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis.Clin Orthop Rel Res. 2001; 91: 33-44
- Tibiotalocalcaneal (hindfoot) arthrodesis by retrograde intramedullary nailing using a curved locking nail. The results of 52 procedures.Foot Ankle Int. 2005; 26: 810-815
- Retrograde intramedullary nailing for ankle arthrodesis.Foot Ankle Int. 1995; 16: 433-436
- Tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis with retrograde intramedullary nailing.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2004; 43: 82-86
- Tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis with an intramedullary device.Foot Ankle Int. 1994; 15: 669-673
- Tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis with medullary rod fixation.Tech Foot Ankle Surg. 2003; 2: 135-143
- Intramedullary compressive nail fixation for the treatment of severe Charcot deformity of the ankle and rearfoot.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2006; 45: 20-24
- Tibiotalocalcaneal fusion with a retrograde intramedullary nail: clinical and functional outcomes.Am J Orthop. 2002; 31: 531-536
- Charcot ankle fusion with a retrograde locked intramedullary nail.Foot Ankle Int. 1997; 18: 699-704
- Morbidity at bone graft donor sites.J Orthop Trauma. 1989; 3: 192-195
- Effect of re-implanted particles from intramedullary reaming in mechanical properties and callus formation. A laboratory study.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007; 89: 1534-1538
- Osteogenic potential of reamer irrigator aspirator (RIA) aspirate collected from patients undergoing hip arthroplasty.J Orthop Res. 2009; 27: 42-49
- Quantitative assessment of growth factors in reaming aspirate, iliac crest, and platelet preparation bone. 2006; 39: 1156-1163
- Cortical heat generation using an irrigating/aspirating single-pass reaming vs conventional stepwise reaming.J Orthop Trauma. 2007; 21: 192-197
- The influence of a one-step reamer-irrigator-aspirator technique on the intramedullary pressure in the pig femur.Injury. 2006; 37: 935-940
- Siston, RA. The reamer/irrigator/aspirator reduces femoral canal pressure in simulated TKA.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009; 467: 805-809
- Voluminous bone graft harvesting of the femoral marrow cavity for autologous transplantation. An indication for the “reamer-irrigator-aspirator” technique.Unfallchirurg. 2008; 111: 469-472
- An alternative source of autograft bone for spinal fusion: technical case report.Neurosurgery. 2008; 62: E179
- Reamer-irrigator-aspirator as a bone graft harvester.Tech Foot Ankle Surg. 2007; 6: 100-107
- The optimum position of arthrodesis of the ankle: a gait study of the knee and ankle.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1987; 67: 1052-1062
- Bone-grafting and bone-graft substitutes.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002; 84: 454-464
- Takedown of ankle fusion and conversion to total ankle replacement.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004; 424: 80-88
- Conversion of painful ankle arthrodesis to total ankle arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg. 2009; 91: 850-858
- Ankle arthrodesis using an arthroscopic method: long-term follow-up of 34 cases.Arthroscopy. 1996; 12: 428-434
- Arthroscopic subtalar arthrodesis for symptomatic osteoarthritis of the hindfoot: a prospective study of 41 cases.Foot Ankle Int. 2007; 28: 2-7
- Arthroscopically assisted arthrodesis for osteoarthrotic ankles.J Bone Joint Surg. 1993; 75: 1167-1174
- Ankle arthrodesis: results after the miniarthrotomy technique.Foot Ankle Int. 1996; 17: 247-252
Published online: September 20, 2010
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2010 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.