Reconstruction of soft tissue defects in the plantar heel pad presents a surgical challenge that requires replacing the lost tissue with another tissue having similarly unique physical characteristics. This case report describes a reconstruction of the plantar heel pad after wide excision of a heel melanoma, using a sensate plantar medial artery musculocutaneous pedicled island flap.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Epidemiology and prognosis of plantar melanoma in 62 Japanese patients over a 28-year period.Int J Dermatol. 1999; 38: 515-519
- Early detection of thick melanomas in the United States: beware of the nodular subtype.Arch Dermatol. 2005; 141: 745-750
- Fatty acid composition of normal and atrophied heel fat pad.Foot Ankle. 1993; 14: 389-394
- Investigations into the fat pads of the sole of the foot: anatomy and histology.Foot Ankle. 1992; 13: 233-242
- Observations on the fibrous retinacula of the heel pad.Foot Ankle Int. 2006; 27: 632-635
- Three-dimensional morphology of heel fat pad: an in vivo computed tomography study.J Anat. 2011; 219 (Epub 2011 Aug 17): 622-631doi:10.1111/j.1469-7580.2011.01420.x
- Quality of innervation in sensate medial plantar flaps for heel reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011; 127: 723-730
- Versajet™ Hydrosurgery technique for the preparation of full thickness skin grafts & the creation of retrograde split thickness skin grafts.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2010; 49: 404-407
Published online: May 21, 2012
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2012 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.