Hemophilia is an inherited recessive, sex-linked bleeding disorder. The lack of sufficient coagulation factor VIII produces hemophilia A, and the lack of factor IX causes hemophilia B. The prevention and treatment of the disease requires intravenous infusion of the deficient factor. Hemophilic patients present with multiarticular joint degeneration (hemophilic arthropathy), secondary to recurrent hemarthroses. With the availability of deficient factors, hemophilic patients requiring elective ankle surgery can undergo such surgery with a high expectation of success. A thorough analysis of each case by a multidisciplinary team will increase the likelihood of successful surgical intervention in the hemophilic patient. Radiosynovectomy decreases both the frequency and the intensity of recurrent ankle bleeding episodes related to ankle synovitis. The general recommendation is that when 3 early consecutive radiosynovectomies (repeated every 6 months) fail to halt synovitis, arthroscopic synovectomy should be considered. For advanced hemophilic arthropathy of the ankle, the first alternative for treatment, in our opinion, is arthroscopic ankle debridement. In the most severe cases, we recommend either ankle arthrodesis or total ankle replacement. In every other case, we feel that the best therapy is prophylaxis and radiosynovectomy in order to avoid hemophilic synovitis and ankle arthropathy.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hemophilic arthropathy: considerations in management.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2001; 91: 406-414
- Orthopaedic management of hemophilic arthropathy.in: Chapman M.V. Chapman's Orthopaedic Surgery. ed 3. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2001: 3595-3616
- The haemophilic ankle.Haemophilia. 2006; 12: 337-344
- Ankle surgery in haemophilia with special emphasis on arthroscopic debridement.Haemophilia. 2008; 14: 913-919
- Orthopaedic management of haemophilia arthropathy of the ankle.Haemophilia. 2008; 14: 170-176
- Achilles tendon lengthening for ankle equinus deformity in hemophiliacs: 23 patients followed for 1–24 years.Acta Orthop. 2006; 77: 164-168
- Radioactive synoviorthesis in patients with hemophilia with factor inhibitor.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1997; 343: 37-41
- Initiation of degenerative joint damage by experimental bleeding combined with loading of the joint.Arthritis Rheumatism. 2004; 50: 2024-2031
- Pathobiology of hemophilic synovitis I: overexpression of mdm2 oncogene.Blood. 2004; 104: 2060-2064
- Experimental haemophilic synovitis: rationale and development of a murine model of human factor VIII deficiency.Haemophilia. 2004; 10: 280-287
- Body structure versus body function in haemophilia: the case of haemophilic ankle arthropathy.Haemophilia. 2011; 17: 508-515
- Anterior tibial artery pseudoaneurysm in a patient with hemophilia: a complication of ankle arthroscopy.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2007; 46: 314-316
- Radiosynovectomy in patients with chronic haemophilic synovitis: when is more than one injection necessary?.Eur J Haematol. 2011; 86: 430-435
- Radiosynovectomy in hemophilia: quantification of its effectiveness through the assessment of 10 articular parameters.J Thromb Haemost. 2011; 9: 928-935
- What patient, joint and isotope characteristics influence the response to radiosynovectomy in patients with haemophilia?.Haemophilia. 2011; 17: e990-e998
- Intra-articular ryfamicin in haemophilic arthropathy.Haemophilia. 2003; 9: 60-63
- Role of exercise and physical activity on haemophilic arthropathy, fall prevention and osteoporosis.Haemophilia. 2011; 17: e870-e876
- A long term results of external beam radiation therapy in hemophilic arthropathy of the ankle in children.J Korean Med Sci. 2010; 25: 1742-1747
- Treatment of chronic haemophilic synovitis in humans with D-penicillamine.Haemophilia. 2002; 9: 64-68
- The feasibility of total ankle prosthesis for severe arthropathy in haemophilia and prothrombin deficiency.Haemophilia. 2006; 12: 679-682
- Haemophilic arthropathy of the ankle treated by total ankle replacement: a case series.Haemophilia. 2010; 16: 647-655
- Outcome of surgical concepts in haemophilic arthropathy of the hindfoot.Haemophilia. 2005; 11: 468-471
- Arthropathy of the ankle in hemophilia.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1991; 73: 1008-1015
- Arthrodesis of the ankle and subtalar joints in patients with haemophilic arthropathy.Haemophilia. 2010; 16: 822-831
- Ankle arthropathy in the haemophilic patient: a description of a novel ankle arthrodesis technique.Haemophilia. 2009; 15: 458-463
Published online: July 12, 2012
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2012 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.