Hypertrophy of the peroneal tubercle can be a source of discomfort when wearing shoes. Occasionally, it can cause tenosynovitis or a tear of the peroneal tendons. The symptoms can be successfully treated by complete resection of the tubercle, tenosynovectomy, and early range of motion exercises of the hindfoot joints. Traditionally, this is an open procedure. We report the technique of endoscopic resection of the peroneal tubercle.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Stenosing tenosynovitis of the peroneus brevis tendon associated with hypertrophy of the peroneal tubercle.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2010; 49: 188-190
- Traumatic pathologies of the calcaneal peroneal tubercle.Foot. 2010; 20: 96-98
- Enlarged peroneal tubercle with peroneus longus tenosynovitis.J Orthop Sci. 2009; 14: 330-335
- Founder's lecture of the ISS 2006: borderlands of normal and early pathological findings in MRI of the foot and ankle.Skeletal Radiol. 2008; 37: 875-884
- Stenosing tenosynovitis and impingement of the peroneal tendons associated with hypertrophy of the peroneal tubercle.Foot Ankle Int. 1999; 20: 464-467
- Hypertrophic peroneal tubercle with stenosing tenosynovitis: the results of surgical treatment.Changgeng Yi Xue Za Zhi. 1998; 21: 442-446
- Stenosing tenosynovitis of the peroneus longus tendon associated with hypertrophy of the peroneal tubercle and an os peroneum: a case report.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1992; 74: 440-442
- Bilateral stenosing tenosynovitis of the peroneus longus tendon associated with hypertrophied peroneal tubercle in a junior soccer player: a case report.Foot Ankle Int. 2007; 28: 129-132
- Recurrent hypertrophic peroneal tubercle associated with peroneus brevis tendon tear.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2007; 46: 403-408
- Peroneal tenosynovitis secondary to peroneal tubercle osteochondroma and calcaneal varus.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 1995; 85: 214-217
- Osteochondroma of the peroneal tubercle: a report of two cases.Int Orthop. 1995; 19: 405-407
- Peroneal tubercle osteochondroma.J Foot Surg. 1992; 31: 234-237
- Tendoscopy of the peroneal tendons.Arthroscopy. 1998; 14: 471-478
Published online: July 23, 2012
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2012 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.