Level of Clinical Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
- Overuse tendon conditions: time to change a confusing terminology.Arthroscopy. 1998; 14: 840-843
- Chronic Achilles tendinosis: recommendations for treatment and prevention.Sports Med. 2000; 29: 135-146
- No effect of piroxicam on Achilles tendinopathy: a randomised study of 70 patients.Acta Orthop Scand. 1992; 63: 631-634
- Low intensity laser therapy: still not an established clinical tool.Lasers Surg Med. 1995; 16: 331-342
- Shock wave therapy for chronic Achilles tendon pain: a randomized placebo-controlled trial.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005; 440: 199-204
- Surgical treatment for chronic Achilles tendinopathy: a prospective seven month follow up study.Br J Sports Med. 2002; 36: 178-182
- Blood supply of the Achilles tendon.J Orthop Res. 1998; 16: 591-596
- The blood supply of the calcaneal tendon.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1989; 71: 100-101
- Blood in the peritendinous space of the human Achilles tendon during exercise.Acta Physiol Scand. 1998; 163: 149-153
- A treatment algorithm for managing Achilles tendinopathy: new treatment options.Br J Sports Med. 2007; 41: 211-216
- New insights into and novel applications for platelet-rich fibrin therapies.Trends Biotechnol. 2006; 24: 227-234
- Platelet-rich plasma and platelet gel: a review.JECT. 2006; 38: 174-187
National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Interventional Procedures Program. Interventional procedure overview of autologous blood injection for tendinopathy. Available at: www.nice.org.uk/IP 549. Accessed May 1, 2008.
Richter W. Alternativen und Visionen zur Verbesserung der Knorpelregeneration, Trauma Berufskrankh 4:100–103, 2002.
- Tissue regeneration and in loco administration of platelet derivatives: clinical outcomes, heterogeneous products, and heterogeneity of effector mechanisms.Transfusion. 2005; 45: 1759-1767
- Transforming growth factor beta modulates the expression of collagenase and metalloproteinase inhibitor.EMBO J. 1987; 6: 1899-1904
- Role of platelet-derived growth factor in wound healing: synergistic effects with other growth factors.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1987; 84: 7696-7700
- Platelet-rich plasma: evidence to support its use. Clinical controversies in oral and maxillofacial surgery, part two.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 62: 489-496
- The influence of platelet-rich plasma on angiogenesis during the early phase of tendon healing.Foot Ankle Int. 2009; 30: 1101-1106
- Treatment of chronic elbow tendinosis with buffered platelet-rich plasma.Am J Sports Med. 2006; 10: 1-5
- Growth factors for chronic planter fasciitis.Podiatry Today. 2004; 17: 37-42
- Platelet-rich plasma injections for chronic Achilles tendinopathy.JAMA. 2010; 303: 144-149
- Platelet rich plasma injection grafts for musculoskeletal injuries: a review.Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2008; 1: 165-174
Foot and Ankle Outcome Score (FAOS), English version LK 1.0. Available at: www.koos.nu. Accessed July 10, 2012.
- Ultrasound-guided autologous blood injection for tennis elbow.Skeletal Radiol. 2006; 35: 371-377
- Autologous blood injections for refractory lateral epicondylitis.J Hand Surg. 2003; 28: 272-278
- Medial epicondylitis: is ultrasound guided autologous blood injection an effective treatment?.Br J Sports Med. 2006; 40: 935-939
- Heavy-load eccentric calf muscle training for the treatment of chronic Achilles tendinosis.Am J Sports Med. 1998; 26: 360-366
- Clinical improvement after 6 weeks of eccentric exercise in patients with mid-portion Achilles tendinopathy—a randomized trial with 1-year follow up.Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2004; 14: 286-295
- Superior short-term results with eccentric calf muscle training compared to concentric training in a randomized prospective multicenter study on patients with chronic Achilles tendinosis.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2001; 9: 42-47
- The effects of therapeutic ultrasound treatment on tendon healing: a biomechanical study.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1989; 68: 283-287
- The effects of ultrasound treatment on flexor tendon healing in the chicken limb.J Hand Surg Br. 1995; 20: 809-814
- Therapeutic ultrasound in soft tissue lesions: review.Rheumatology. 2001; 40: 1331-1336
Financial Disclosure: Arthrex, Inc. (Naples, FL) supplied the centrifuge used in our investigation. None of the authors received any payment or support in any other direct or indirect way from Arthrex, Inc., and no one from Arthrex, Inc., participated in the design or execution of the study protocol.
Conflicts of Interest: None reported.