Isolated dislocation of the medial cuneiform is a rare injury. A favorable outcome relies on an accurate and stable reduction. Evidence of residual instability can be subtle. We present 1 such injury whose true extent was not fully appreciated at presentation, despite multiple plain films. Occult fracture of the medial cuneiform contributed to residual instability of the first ray and persistent and progressive symptoms and ultimately necessitated operative stabilization of the medial arch. We recommend the use of computed tomography as an adjunct to plain radiography for all midfoot dislocations to more accurately define the extent of the injury.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Dislocation of the medial cuneiform bone in tarsometatarsal fracture-dislocation: a case report.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1975; 57: 858-859
- An irreducible medial cuneiform fracture-dislocation.Injury. 1992; 23: 501-502
- Isolated dorsomedial dislocation of the first ray at the medial cuneonavicular joint of the foot: a rare injury to the tarsus—a case report.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1984; 186: 162-164
- Plantar lateral dislocation of the medial cuneiform: a case report.Foot Ankle Int. 1998; 19: 118-119
- Isolated dislocation of the medial cuneiform bone—a rare injury of the tarsus: a case report.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1970; 52: 1632-1636
- Intraarticular fractures of the foot: talus and lesser tarsals.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1993; 292: 135-141
- Fractures and dislocations of the midfoot and forefoot.in: Bucholz R.W. Court-Brown C.M. Heckman J.D. Tornetta III, P. Rockwood and Green's Fractures in Adults. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia2010
- A case of non-union of the medial cuneiform.Injury. 1993; 24: 207-208
- Isolated medial cuneiform fracture: review of the literature and report of two cases.Foot Ankle Int. 2000; 21: 150-153
- Isolated medial cuneiform fracture: a special forces soldier with a rare injury.South Med J. 2008; 101: 848-849
Published online: July 23, 2012
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2012 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.