Freiberg’s disease, metatarsal avascular necrosis, is most often seen in healthy athletic adolescent girls. Presenting symptoms include vague pain, swelling, and loss of motion in the involved metatarsophalangeal joints. Low-grade osteomyelitis often is difficult to identify. In this case report, we present a 14-year-old girl with low-grade osteomyelitis of the fifth metatarsal accompanied by possible Freiberg’s disease in the same metatarsal.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgical treatment of Freiberg infraction in athletes.Am J Sports Med. 1993; 21: 381-384
- Chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis: a radiological and clinical investigation of five cases.Skeletal Radiol. 1997; 26: 579-588
- Chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis: a great clinical and radiologic mimic in need of recognition by the pathologists.APMIS. 1999; 107: 369-379
- Chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis in children.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1999; 18: 1008-1013
- Subacute propionibacterium acne osteomyelitis of the spine in an adolescent.J Pediatr Orthop. 2003; 12: 284-287
- Chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis associated with ulcerative colitis: a case report.J Pediatr Surg. 2000; 35: 1520-1522
- Chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis associated with chronic inflammatory bowel disease in children.Dig Dis Sci. 1999; 44: 2500-2507
- Crohn’s-associated chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis responsive to infliximab.J Pediatr. 2004; 144: 541-544
- Synovitis, acne, pustulosis, hyperostosis, osteitis (SAPHO) syndrome in childhood: a report of ten cases and review of the literature.Eur J Pediatr. 2000; 159: 594-601
- Experimental epiphyseal injury and Freiberg’s disease.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1959; 41: 154-159
- Freiberg’s infraction: a subchondral bone fatigue fracture. A new surgical treatment.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1979; : 93-95
- Osteochondroses: aseptic necrosis of the foot.in: Jahss M.H. Foot and Ankle Disorders. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1991: 617-638
- Lunate osteomyelitis in a patient with bilateral Kienböcks disease.Orthop Rev. 1986; 15: 521-525
- Forefoot pain involving the metatarsal region: differential diagnosis with MR imaging.Radiographics. 2001; 21: 1425-1440
Published online: September 14, 2012
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2012 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.