Many joint-depressive, neglected calcaneal fractures need distraction arthrodesis of the subtalar joint. Because the calcaneal tuberosity is usually malunited in the varus position, more distraction is required on the medial side to place the tuberosity in the everted position before insertion of a bone graft. Traditionally, a distractor is placed on the medial side to achieve this task. However, the medially placed distractor hinders with the positioning of the extremity and exposure of the main operative site, which is commonly on the lateral side. We introduce a technique to avoid this burden by placing a hinged distractor device on the lateral aspect of the foot while maintaining the correction of the varus deformity.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Incorporation of bovine-based structural bone grafts used in reconstructive foot surgery.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2012; 51: 30-33
- Outcome of subtalar fusion using bovine cancellous bone graft: a retrospective case series.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2011; 50: 388-390
- Comparison of open versus closed reduction of intraarticular calcaneal fractures: a matched cohort in workmen.J Orthop Trauma. 1992; 6: 216-222
- Operative treatment in 120 displaced intraarticular calcaneal fractures. Results using a prognostic computed tomography scan classification.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1993; : 87-95
- Displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures: variables predicting late subtalar fusion.J Orthop Trauma. 2003; 17: 106-112
- The operative management of displaced intra-articular fractures of the calcaneum: a two-centre study using a defined protocol.Injury. 2001; 32: 491-496
- Preoperative and postoperative evaluation of intra-articular fractures of the calcaneus based on computed tomography scanning.J Orthop Trauma. 1997; 11: 435-440
- Osteosynthesis of displaced intra-articular fractures of the calcaneum: a long-term review of 47 cases.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2010; 92: 693-700
- Calcaneus fractures: facts, controversies and recent developments.Injury. 2004; 35: 443-461
- Review of the radiology in randomised controlled trials in open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF) of displaced intraarticular calcaneal fractures.Injury. 2001; 32: 633-636
- Intra-articular fractures of the calcaneum treated operatively or conservatively. A prospective study.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1993; 75: 932-937
- Long-term results of conservative treatment of Sanders type 4 fractures of the calcaneum: a series of 64 cases.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2011; 93: 975-979
- Calcaneal fractures: to fix or not to fix: opinion: open reduction internal fixation.J Orthop Trauma. 2005; 19: 356-358
- Association between CT imaging at follow-up and clinical outcomes in heel fractures.Musculoskelet Surg. 2010; 94: 113-117
- Importance of CT-scanning in the evaluation of calcaneal fractures.Tunis Med. 2007; 85: 25-28
- Fractures of the calcaneus: a review with emphasis on CT.Radiographics. 2005; 25: 1215-1226
- Intraarticular fractures of the calcaneus: value of CT findings in determining prognosis.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1992; 158: 1271-1274
- Computed tomographic assessment of old calcaneal fractures.Br J Radiol. 1990; 63: 926-933
- Osteosynthesis for intra-articular calcaneal fractures.J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2007; 15: 144-148
- Subtalar fusion after displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures: does initial operative treatment matter?.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009; 91: 541-546
- Calcaneal malunions: results of a prognostic computed tomography classification system.Foot Ankle Int. 1996; 17: 395-401
- Subtalar distractional realignment arthrodesis with wedge bone grafting and lateral decompression for calcaneal malunion.J Trauma. 1998; 45: 729-737
- Block distraction arthrodesis for the treatment of failed calcaneal fractures.Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2004; 21: 241-250
- Results of in situ subtalar arthrodesis for late sequelae of calcaneus fractures.Foot Ankle Int. 1999; 20: 18-24
- Intermediate to long-term results of a treatment protocol for calcaneal fracture malunions.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005; 87: 963-973
- Distraction arthrodesis of the subtalar joint using allogeneic bone graft: a review of 15 cases.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2010; 49: 369-374
- Posterior bone block distraction arthrodesis of the subtalar joint: a review of 22 cases.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2008; 47: 191-198
- Subtalar distraction bone block arthrodesis.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2001; 83: 849-854
- Subtalar arthrodesis for late sequelae of calcaneal fractures: fusion in situ versus fusion with sliding corrective osteotomy.Foot Ankle Int. 1999; 20: 166-170
Published online: September 13, 2012
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2012 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.