Few data are available to compare the outcomes of first metatarsophalangeal joint (MTPJ) hemiarthroplasty and arthrodesis. We included 46 patients who had undergone BioPro® first MTPJ hemiarthroplasty and 132 who had undergone arthrodesis, with a minimum follow-up duration of 12 months. The primary outcome was patient satisfaction, which was determined using binominal questions. The Foot and Ankle Outcome Score, Foot Function Index, and Numerical Rating Scale for pain and limitations questionnaires were also used. The secondary outcome was treatment failure. No differences were found in the satisfaction rate (p = .54) after a median period of 38.4 (range 12 to 96) months and 39.8 (range 12 to 96) months in the hemiarthroplasty and arthrodesis patients, respectively. Furthermore, no differences were found in the failure rates (p = .93) or the interval to failure (p = .32).The results of the present study showed no significant differences in the short-term clinical outcomes and failure rates for BioPro® first MTPJ hemiarthroplasty and arthrodesis. Prospective comparative studies are required to determine whether BioPro® first MTPJ hemiarthroplasty is a good alternative for first MTPJ arthrodesis in the long term.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Quantitative review of operative management of hallux rigidus.Br Med Bull. 2011; 98: 75-98
- Does total joint replacement or arthrodesis of the first metatarsophalangeal joint yield better functional results? A systematic review of the literature.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2010; 49: 546-552
- Comparison of arthrodesis and metallic hemiarthroplasty of the hallux metatarsophalangeal joint.J Bone Joint Surg. 2007; 89: 1979-1985
- Comparison of arthrodesis, resurfacing hemiarthroplasty, and total joint replacement in the treatment of advanced hallux rigidus.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2013; 52: 588-593
- A retrospective cohort study of the BioPro hemiarthroplasty prosthesis.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2010; 49: 331-339
- A metallic hemiarthroplasty resurfacing prosthesis for the hallux metatarsophalangeal joint.Foot Ankle Int. 1994; 15: 575-580
- Outcomes in hallux rigidus patients treated nonoperatively: a long-term follow-up study.Foot Ankle Int. 2000; 21: 906-913
- First metatarsophalangeal hemiarthroplasty for hallux rigidus.Int Orthop. 2010; 34: 1193-1198
- Hallux rigidus: grading and long-term results of operative treatment.J Bone Joint Surg. 2003; 85-A: 2072-2088
- Reliability and validity of the Dutch version of the Foot and Ankle Outcome Score (FAOS).BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2013; 14: 183
- The Foot Function Index: a measure of foot pain and disability.J Clin Epidemiol. 1991; 44: 561-570
- A prospective investigation of the BioPro hemi-arthroplasty for the first metatarsophalangeal joint.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2008; 47: 505-509
- Hallux metatarsophalangeal joint arthrodesis using dome-shaped reamers and dorsal plate fixation: a prospective study.Foot Ankle Int. 2006; 27: 869-876
- Metatarsal head resurfacing hemiarthroplasty in the treatment of advanced stage hallux rigidus: outcomes in the short-term.Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2012; 46: 281-285
- A multicenter retrospective review of outcomes for arthrodesis, hemi-metallic joint implant, and resectional arthroplasty in the surgical treatment of end-stage hallux rigidus.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2012; 51: 50-56
- Metatarsal head resurfacing for advanced hallux rigidus.Foot Ankle Int. 2013; 34: 716-725
- [ToeFit-Plus system for replacement of the first metatarsophalangeal joint].Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech. 2010; 77: 222-227
- Conversion arthrodesis for failed first metatarsophalangeal joint hemiarthroplasty.Foot Ankle Int. 2013; 34: 1227-1232
- Cigarette smoking increases complications following fracture: a systematic review.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96: 674-681
Published online: May 22, 2015
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2015 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.