Level of Clinical Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
- A history of medical scientists on high-heels.Int J Health Services. 1998; 28: 201-225
- The Influence of Clothing on Health.Cassell, London1886
- A.P.M.A. High-Heel Survey, 2003.November 23, 2006 (Available at:)Accessed January 15, 2014)
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society women's shoe survey.Foot Ankle. 1993; 14: 78-81
- Kinetics of high-heeled gait.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2003; 93: 27-32
- Influence of heel height and shoe insert on comfort and perception and biomechanical performance of young female adults during walking.Foot Ankle Int. 2005; 26: 1042-1048
- The changes of COP and foot pressure after one hour's walking wearing high-heeled and flat shoes.J Phys Ther Sci. 2013; 25: 1309-1312
- Long-term use of high-heeled shoes alters the neuromechanics of human walking.J Appl Physiol. 2012; 112: 1054-1058
- Prevalence of foot and ankle conditions in a multiethnic community sample of older adults.Am J Epidemiol. 2004; 159: 491-498
- Foot instability during walking in shoes with high-heels.Res Q Exerc Sport. 1966; 37: 168-175
- Effects of long-term wearing of high-heeled shoes on the control of the body's center of mass motion in relation to the center of pressure during walking.Gait Posture. 2014; 39: 1045-1050
- On muscle, tendon and high-heels.J Exp Biol. 2010; 213: 2582-2588
- Kinematics and kinetics of the lower extremities of young and elder women during stairs ascent while wearing low and high-heeled shoes.J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2009; 19: 1071-1078
- Kinematics of high-heeled gait with consideration for age and experience of wearers.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1990; 71: 905-909
- Walking on high heels changes muscle activity and the dynamics of human walking significantly.J Appl Biomech. 2012; 28: 20-28
- The effects of high-heeled shoes on female gait: a review.J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2014; 24: 258-263
- Lower extremity mechanics and energy cost of walking in high-heeled shoes.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1994; 19: 190-196
- The effect of walking in high- and low-heeled shoes on erector spinae activity and pelvis kinematics during gait.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 91: 425-434
- High-heeled shoes: their effect on center of mass position, posture, three-dimensional kinematics, rearfoot motion, and ground reaction forces.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1994; 75: 568-576
- An exploration of emergency department presentations related to high-heel footwear in Victoria, Australia, 2006–2010.J Foot Ankle Res. 2014; 23: 6
- National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS) Coding Manual.2013 (Available at:)Accessed January 1, 2014)
- National Intercensal Estimates (2000–2010).2011 (Available at:)Accessed January 1, 2014)
- Evaluation and diagnosis of wrist pain: a case-based approach.Am Fam Physician. 2013; 87: 568-576
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.