We investigated the effect of combined fibular osteotomy on the pressure of the tibiotalar and talofibular joints in medial opening-wedge supramalleolar osteotomy. Three different tibial osteotomy gaps (6, 8, and 10 mm) were created in 10 cadaveric models, and the pressure in the tibiotalar and talofibular joints was measured under axial load before and after fibular osteotomy. The heel alignment angle and talar translation ratio were evaluated radiographically. An increase in osteotomy gap led to increases in hindfoot valgus (p = .001) and the contact and peak pressures in the talofibular joint (p = .03 and p = .004). In contrast, the contact and peak pressures in the tibiotalar joint were unchanged with an increasing osteotomy gap (p = .52 and p = .76). Fibular osteotomy reduced the contact and peak pressures in the talofibular joint (p < .001 and p = .001, respectively), and it did not influence the contact and peak pressures in the tibiotalar joint (p = .46 and p = .14, respectively). Therefore, fibular osteotomy might be necessary in supramalleolar osteotomy for medial ankle arthritis to minimize the increase in pressure in the talofibular joint, especially when the osteotomy gap is large.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgical treatment of the arthritic varus ankle.Foot Ankle Clin. 2012; 17: 665-686
- Treatment of the arthritic valgus ankle.Foot Ankle Clin. 2012; 17: 647-663
- Changes in tibiotalar joint contact areas following experimentally induced tibial angular deformities.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1985; 199: 72-80
- The role of subtalar motion and ankle contact pressure changes from angular deformities of the tibia.Foot Ankle. 1987; 7: 290-299
- Effect of supramalleolar varus and valgus deformities on the tibiotalar joint: a cadaveric study.Foot Ankle Int. 2011; 32: 609-615
- The role of the fibula in varus and valgus deformity of the tibia: a biomechanical study.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2011; 93: 1232-1239
- Treatment of posttraumatic varus ankle deformity with supramalleolar osteotomy.Foot Ankle Clin. 2012; 17: 95-102
- Supramalleolar osteotomy using circular external fixation with six-axis deformity correction of the distal tibia.Foot Ankle Int. 2011; 32: 986-993
- Indications for supramalleolar osteotomy in patients with ankle osteoarthritis and varus deformity.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011; 93: 1243-1248
- Low tibial osteotomy for varus-type osteoarthritis of the ankle.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2006; 88: 909-913
- Supramalleolar osteotomy with bone marrow stimulation for varus ankle osteoarthritis: clinical results and second-look arthroscopic evaluation.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 1558-1566
- Dynamic assessments of the osteoarthritis of the ankle joint treated by distal tibial oblique osteotomy.J Jpn Soc Surg Foot. 2006; 27: 48-53
- Oblique supramalleolar opening wedge osteotomy without fibular osteotomy for varus deformity of the ankle.Foot Ankle Int. 2009; 30: 565-567
- Management of varus ankle osteoarthritis with joint-preserving osteotomy.Foot Ankle Clin. 2013; 18: 471-480
- Holistic approach to understanding anterior knee pain: clinical implications.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2014; 22: 2275-2285
- The natural history of osteochondral lesions in the ankle.Instr Course Lect. 2010; 59: 375-386
- Supramalleolar osteotomy for ankle deformity and arthritis.Foot Ankle Clin. 2004; 9: 475-487
- A cohort study of patients undergoing distal tibial osteotomy without fibular osteotomy for medial ankle arthritis with mortise widening.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015; 97: 381-388
- Effect of medial opening wedge high tibial osteotomy on intraarticular knee and ankle contact pressures.J Orthop Res. 2015; 33: 598-604
- Ankle joint pressure changes in a pes cavovarus model: supramalleolar valgus osteotomy versus lateralizing calcaneal osteotomy.Foot Ankle Int. 2013; 34: 1190-1197
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2016 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.