Intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia is a benign vascular lesion. Its importance lies in the differential diagnosis of malignant vascular neoplasms, such as angiosarcoma, to avoid unnecessary aggressive treatment. We present a case report on this type of tumor at the dorsal region of the foot to describe the pathogenic and histologic features of this lesion.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hémangioendothéliome végétant intravasculaire.Bull Soc Anat (Paris). 1923; 93: 517-523
- Intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1976; 100: 441-444
- Intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia of renal vein: report of 2 cases.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2005; 129: 516-519
- Hemangiomas and vascular malformations in infants and children: a classification based on endothelial characteristics.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1982; 69: 412-500
- Masson’s “vegetant intravascular hemangioendothelioma”: a lesion often mistaken for angiosarcoma.Cancer. 1976; 38: 1227-1236
- Intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia: a neoplastic “actor” representing an exaggerated attempt at recanalization mediated by basic fibroblast growth factor.J Hand Surg Am. 1994; 19: 559-564
- Intravascular angiomatosis: development and distinction from angiosarcoma.Cancer. 1975; 36: 995-1001
- Cutaneous vascular proliferations. Part II. Hyperplasias and benign neoplasms.J Am Acad Dermatol. 1997; 37: 887-919
- Intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia: multiple lesion simulating Kaposi's sarcoma.J Am Acad Dermatol. 1984; 10: 110-113
- Intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia: report of four cases in the hand.Eur J Plast Surg. 2002; 25: 280
- Recurrent intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia of the right middle finger treated with radiation therapy.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008; 90: 95-97
- Masson tumor as humeral artery aneurysm.Ann Vasc Surg. 2008; 22: 127-129
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2016 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.