In the present study, we explored the effectiveness and complications of omnidirectional internal fixation using a double approach for treating Rüedi-Allgöwer type III pilon fractures. A retrospective analysis was performed of 19 cases of Rüedi-Allgöwer type III unilateral closed pilon fracture. With preoperative preparation and correct surgical timing, the reduction was performed using anteromedial and posterolateral approaches, and the fracture fragments were fixed by omnidirectional internal fixation. Imaging evaluation was performed using the Burwell-Charnley scoring system. The Johner-Wruhs scoring system was used to assess the functional status of the patients. A comprehensive evaluation of efficacy was performed using a 5-point Likert score. The complications were also recorded and analyzed. All patients were followed up for an average of 16.2 months. The operative incisions of 15 cases healed by primary intent and with delayed healing in 4. All patients had achieved bony union at an average of 16 weeks postoperatively. No deep infection, broken nail or withdrawn nail, exposed plate, or skin flap necrosis occurred. The Burwell-Charnley imaging evaluation showed that 14 patients had anatomic reduction of the articular surface and 5 had acceptable reduction. Using the Johner-Wruhs scoring system, the results were excellent for 8, good for 7, fair for 2, and poor for 2 patients; the combined rate of excellent and good results was 78.9%. The Likert score of efficacy self-reported by the patients was 3 to 4 points for 12 patients, 2 points for 4 patients, and 0 to 1 point for 3 patients. The Likert score of therapeutic efficacy reported by the physicians was 3 to 4 points for 10 patients, 2 points for 5 patients, and 0 to 1 point for 4 patients. Omnidirectional internal fixation using double approaches was an effective method to treat Rüedi-Allgöwer type III pilon fractures with satisfactory reduction and rigid fixation, good joint function recovery, and few complications.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Anatomist and the pioneer of radiology Étienne Destot—95th anniversary of his death.Clin Anat. 2014; 27: 282-285
- Surgical treatment of tibial plafond fractures.Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2014; 31: 547-564
- Surgical approach in difficult tibial pilon fractures.Chirurgia (Bucur). 2014; 109: 104-110
- The mid-term results of treatment for tibial pilon fractures.Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg. 2012; 18: 429-435
- Pilon fractures.Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2012; 29: 243-278
- The operative treatment of intra-articular fractures of the lower end of the tibia.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1979; 138: 105-110
- Total fractures of the tibial pilon.Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2014; 100: S65-S74
- Distal tibial pilon fractures (AO/OTA type B, and C) treated with the external skeletal and minimal internal fixation method.Vojnosanit Pregl. 2013; 70: 836-841
- Treatment of type C pilon fractures by external fixator combined with limited open reduction and absorbable internal fixation.Foot Ankle Int. 2013; 34: 534-542
- Open reduction with internal fixation versus limited internal fixation and external fixation for high grade pilon fractures (OTA type 43C).Foot Ankle Int. 2011; 32: 955-961
- Pathophysiology and classification of soft tissue damage in fractures.Orthopade. 1983; 12: 2-8
- The treatment of displaced fractures at the ankle by rigid internal fixation and early joint movement.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1965; 47: 634-660
- Classification of tibial shaft fractures and correlation with results after rigid internal fixation.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1983; 178: 7-25
- A technique for the measurement of attitudes.Arch Psychol. 1932; 22: 1-55
- Operative treatment of fractures of the tibial plafond: a randomized, prospective study.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1996; 78: 1646-1657
- Intra- and interobserver agreement on the Oestern and Tscherne classification of soft tissue injury in periarticular lower-limb closed fractures.Colomb Med (Cali). 2014; 45: 173-178
- Comparison of early and delayed open reduction and internal fixation for treating closed tibial pilon fractures.Foot Ankle Int. 2014; 35: 657-664
- Temporary bridging external fixation in distal tibial fracture.Injury. 2014; 45: S58-S63
- Locking compression plate with minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis in diaphyseal and distal tibial fracture: a retrospective study of 32 patients.Injury. 2007; 38: 365-370
- Two-stage procedure protocol for minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis technique in the treatment of the complex pilon fracture.Int Orthop. 2012; 36: 833-837
- Decisions and staging leading to definitive open management of pilon fractures: where have we come from and where are we now?.J Orthop Trauma. 2012; 26: 488-498
- The analysis of the variables, affecting outcome in surgically treated tibia pilon fractured patients.Injury. 2013; 44: 1270-1274
- External fixation combined with limited internal fixation versus open reduction internal fixation for treating Rüedi-Allgöwer type III pilon fractures.Med Sci Monit. 2015; 21: 1662-1667
- Does the fibula need to be fixed in complex pilon fractures?.J Orthop Trauma. 2015; 29: 424-427
- Optimal management of high-energy pilon fractures.Orthopedics. 2015; 38: e708-e714
- Distal tibial fractures and pilon fractures.Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech. 2014; 81: 167-176
- External fixation of tibial pilon fractures and fracture healing.Acta Orthop Suppl. 2007; 78: 5-34
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2017 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.