Pilon fractures are notoriously difficult injuries to treat. The current published data on salvage procedures after failed pilon fractures includes both total ankle arthroplasty (TAA) and tibiotalar fusion, each with its own specific indications. However, no acceptable treatment algorithm addressing the complications of these limb salvage procedures is available. We present the case of a 23-year-old patient, who sustained a complex pilon fracture after a motor vehicle accident. The patient was referred to our institution after an initial fixation attempt, followed by subsequent failed TAA, which was complicated by an infected fusion attempt. We describe a staged treatment approach to clearing the infection and obtaining the final fusion goals.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tibial pilon fractures: a review of incidence, diagnosis, treatment, and complications.Acta Orthop Belg. 2011; 77: 432-440
- Pilon fractures.Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2012; 29: 243-278
- Staged treatment and associated complications of pilon fractures.Instr Course Lect. 2012; 61: 53-70
- Salvage of pilon fracture nonunion and infection with circular tensioned wire fixation.Foot Ankle Clin. 2008; 13: 29-68
- [Arthrodesis of the infected ankle joint: results with the Ilizarov external fixator].Z Orthop Unfall. 2011; 149: 212-218
- Ankle arthrodesis for failed total ankle replacement.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2006; 88: 1032-1038
- Arthrodesis after failed total ankle replacement.Foot Ankle Int. 2014; 35: 549-557
- Tibiocalcaneal arthrodesis using the Ilizarov technique in the presence of bone loss and infection of the talus.Foot Ankle Int. 2008; 29: 1001-1008
- Salvage of failed total ankle arthroplasty with fusion using structural allograft and internal fixation.Foot Ankle Int. 2011; 32: S493-S502
- Is there a role for intramedullary nails in the treatment of simple pilon fractures? Rationale and preliminary results.Injury. 2013; 44: 1107-1111
- Ankle arthrodesis in the presence of ongoing sepsis: indications, methods, and results.Orthop Clin North Am. 1989; 20: 709-721
- Arthrodesis after failed total ankle replacement.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007; 89: 1178-1183
- Total ankle replacement.Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2015; 112: 177-184
- Type C tibial pilon fractures: short- and long-term outcome following operative intervention.Bone Joint J. 2016; 98-B: 1106-1111
- A simple method for fashioning an antibiotic cement-coated interlocking intramedullary nail.Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2010; 39: 18-21
- Cement spacer as definitive management for postoperative ankle infection.Foot Ankle Int. 2012; 33: 173-178
- Principles of treatment for periprosthetic femoral shaft fractures around well-fixed total hip arthroplasty.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2009; 17: 677-688
- A technique for treating periprosthetic fractures of the femur associated with deep prosthetic infection.J Arthroplasty. 2003; 18: 211-215
- Use of an “antibiotic plate” for infected periprosthetic fracture in total hip arthroplasty.J Orthop Trauma. 2012; 26: e18-e23
- Antibiotic-impregnated cement spacers for the treatment of infection associated with total hip or knee arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007; 89: 871-882
- How successful are current ankle replacements? A systematic review of the literature.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010; 468: 199-208
- 2-Stage reimplantation for infected total knee replacement.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1996; 331: 118-124
- [Ankle arthrodesis after failure of a total ankle prosthesis: eight cases].Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 2004; 90: 353-359
- Ankle arthrodesis using Ilizarov ring fixators: a review of 22 cases.Foot Ankle Int. 2006; 27: 764-770
- Ankle arthrodesis after failed total ankle replacement: a systematic review of the literature.Foot Ankle Spec. 2015; 8: 143-151
- Antibiotic-coated nail for fusion of infected Charcot ankles.Foot Ankle Int. 2013; 34: 80-84
- Antibiotic-coated intramedullary rod.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2009; 48: 104-110
- The management of infection following total ankle replacement: demographics and treatment.Foot Ankle Int. 2014; 35: 855-862
- Changes in Chopart joint load following tibiotalar arthrodesis: in vitro analysis of 8 cadaver specimens in a dynamic model.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2007; 8: 80
- Healing in the new millennium: bone stimulators: an overview of where we've been and where we may be heading.Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2015; 32: 45-59
Published online: June 20, 2017
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2017 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.