Rarely, osteochondral lesions of the talus occur without a history of trauma. Accurate interpretation of the mechanical load distributions onto the ankle leading to potential atraumatic cartilage damage must always be studied. The published data on the optimal treatment of talar osteochondral lesions in skeletally immature patients are scarce, especially when the lesions are associated with hindfoot malalignment. We describe the case of a pediatric female with an atraumatic osteochondral lesion of the talus associated with a talocalcaneal coalition and a valgus hindfoot, which we consider the first case to be reported. She presented with prolonged bilateral ankle pain and catching during gait of approximately 2 years’ duration with a restricted range of motion, with the pain more excruciating in the right ankle. Radiographs revealed a large osteochondral lesion located at the lateral talar dome. The patient underwent partial osteochondral allograft transplantation, together with hindfoot realignment and coalition resection with a fat graft interposition. At the 2-year follow-up examination, the patient was free of pain in her right foot and ankle, with no signs of radiologic failure.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- One-step bone marrow-derived cell transplantation in talar osteochondral lesions.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009; 467: 3307-3320
- Arthroscopically detected intra-articular lesions associated with acute ankle fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009; 91: 333-339
- Osteochondral lesions of the talus: localization and morphologic data from 424 patients using a novel anatomical grid scheme.Foot Ankle Int. 2007; 28: 154-161
- Osteochondral lesions of the talus: aspects of current management.Bone Joint J. 2014; 96-B: 164-171
- Osteochondral lesions of the talus.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1980; 62: 97-102
- Bilateral talar osteochondritis dissecans with lax ankle ligaments: report of a case.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1970; 52: 168-170
- Atraumatic osteonecrosis of the talus.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1998; 80: 529-536
- Using the star excursion balance test to assess dynamic postural-control deficits and outcomes in lower extremity injury: a literature and systematic review.J Athl Train. 2012; 47: 339-357
- The standing heel-rise test for ankle plantar flexion: criterion for normal.Phys Ther. 1995; 75: 694-698
- Design and reliability of a novel heel rise test measuring device for plantarflexion endurance.Biomed Res Int. 2014; 2014: 1-7
- Transchondral fractures (osteochondritis dissecans) of the talus.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1959; 41-A: 988-1020
- Osteochondral lesions of the talus: a revised classification.Foot Ankle Int. 1999; 20: 789-793
- Talocalcaneal coalitions.Foot Ankle Clin. 2015; 20: 681-691
- Measuring hindfoot alignment radiographically: the long axial view is more reliable than the hindfoot alignment view.Skeletal Radiol. 2010; 39: 1103-1108
- Excision of symptomatic coalition of the middle facet of the talocalcaneal joint.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1987; 69: 539-544
- Treatment of talocalcaneal coalitions.J Pediatr Orthop. 2012; 32: 301-307
- Oper Orthop Traumatol. 2016; 28: 309-320
- Reliability and validity of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society clinical rating scale: a pilot study for the hallux and lesser toes.Foot Ankle Int. 2006; 27: 1014-1019
- Subtalar anatomy and mechanics.Foot Ankle Clin. 2015; 20: 195-221
- Clinical relevance of hindfoot alignment view in total ankle replacement.Foot Ankle Int. 2010; 31: 871-879
- Zeitschrift Orthop Unfallchir. 2014; 152: 389-392
- Talocalcaneal tarsal coalitions and the calcaneal lengthening osteotomy: the role of deformity correction.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012; 94: 1584-1594
- Osteochondrosis dissecans des Talus bei Rückfußmalalignment—Autologe Matrixinduzierte Chondrogenese mit lateraler Calcaneusverlängerungsosteotomie bei einer international erfolgreichen Nachwuchs-Skirennläuferin.Sport. 2014; 29: 118-121
- Osteochondritis dissecans of the talus in children.J Pediatr Orthop. 2003; 23: 617-625
- Osteochondritis dissecans of the talus.Joints. 1978; 2: 115-123
- Stage VI: massive osteochondral defects of the talus.Foot Ankle Clin. 2004; 9: 737-744
- Fresh osteochondral allografts for large-volume cystic osteochondral defects of the talus.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009; 91: 2818-2826
- Intermediate outcomes of fresh talar osteochondral allografts for treatment of large osteochondral lesions of the talus.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012; 94: 1105-1110
- Treatment of juvenile osteochondritis dissecans of the talus: current concepts review.Joints. 2014; 2: 188-191
- Comparison of reoperation rates following ankle arthrodesis and total ankle arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg. 2007; 89: 2143-2149
- Clinical and MRI outcomes after surgical treatment of osteochondral lesions of the talus in skeletally immature children.J Pediatr Orthop. 2016; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1097/BPO.0000000000000745
Published online: May 27, 2017
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2017 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.