Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors are rare soft tissue tumors accounting for 3% to 10% of all soft tissue tumors. They are strongly related to neurofibromatosis type 1, an autosomal dominant disease, and are characterized by aggressive biologic behavior, high local recurrence rates, and frequent metastases. Although the major nerves of the lower extremities are a common location of these tumors, scarce cases have been reported of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors involving the interdigital nerves of the foot. We report the case of a patient with non-neurofibromatosis type 1 and a recurrent malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor of the first interdigital nerve of the foot treated successfully with limb salvage surgery with wide resection margins and reconstruction with an autogenous fibula graft.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors of the buttock and lower extremity: a study of 43 cases.Cancer. 1990; 66: 1253-1265
- Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors (MPNST)—clinicopathological study and treatment outcome of twenty-four cases.World J Surg Oncol. 2006; 4: 55
- Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors: a clinicopathologic study of 120 cases.Cancer. 1986; 57: 2006-2021
- Soft tissue sarcomas of the extremities.Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2003; 16: 285-290
- Primary intraosseous malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor of spine with a giant paraspinal and retrospinal subcutaneous extension.Surg Neurol Int. 2012; 3: 157
- Contemporary imaging of soft tissue sarcomas.J Surg Oncol. 2014; 111: 496-503
- Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors.Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2008; 19: 533-543
- Chemotherapy for the treatment of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors in neurofibromatosis 1: a 10-year institutional review.Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2013; 8: 127
- International consensus statement on malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors in neurofibromatosis.Cancer Res. 2002; 62: 1573-1577
- Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors.Oncologist. 2014; 19: 193-201
- Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors.Cancer. 2006; 107: 1065-1074
- The differential diagnosis of foot lumps: 101 cases treated surgically in north Glasgow over 4 years.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2007; 89: 272-275
- Tumours of the foot and ankle.Foot. 2015; 25: 164-172
- Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumour: CT and MRI findings.Case Rep Radiol. 2013; 2013: 1-5
- [18F]2-fluoro-2-deoxy-d-glucose positron emission tomography (FDG PET) as a diagnostic tool for neurofibromatosis 1 (NF1) associated malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumours (MPNSTs): a long-term clinical study.Ann Oncol. 2008; 19: 390-394
- MR imaging differentiation of benign and malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors: use of the target sign.Pediatr Radiol. 1997; 27: 124-129
- Differentiation of soft tissue benign and malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors with magnetic resonance imaging.Clin Imaging. 2008; 32: 121-127
- MRI features in the differentiation of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors and neurofibromas.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010; 194: 1568-1574
- Osteosarcoma of navicular bone: en bloc excision and salvage of the foot.Foot Ankle Surg. 2012; 18: e29-e33
- Extraskeletal chondroma of the foot.Joint Bone Spine. 2007; 74: 285-288
- Foot malignancies: a multidisciplinary approach.Foot Ankle Clin. 2003; 8: 751-763
- Functional outcomes and quality of life in patients with osteosarcoma treated with amputation versus limb-salvage surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2014; 134: 1507-1516
- Amputation versus limb-salvage surgery in patients with Osteosarcoma: a meta-analysis.World J Surg. 2016; 40: 2016-2027
- A comparative study between limb-salvage and amputation for treating osteosarcoma.J Bone Oncol. 2016; 5: 15-21
- Schwannoma in digital nerve: a rare case report.Eplasty. 2015; 15: 56
- Giant malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor of thigh in an adolescent with neurofibromatosis type 1: a case report.Int Med Case Rep J. 2015; 8: 267-271
- Tumors of the peripheral nervous system: analysis of prognostic factors in a series with long-term follow-up and review of the literature.J Neurosurg. 2015; 125: 363-371
- Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor: analysis of treatment outcome.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1998; 42: 351-360
- Potential of boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) for malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors (MPNST).Appl Radiat Isot. 2015; 106: 220-225
- Soft-tissue sarcomas in adults.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 701-711
Published online: June 13, 2017
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2017 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.