Traumatic dislocation of the subtalar joint is an infrequently occurring injury, with open true posterior dislocation an even rarer injury. We describe our treatment of a young motorcyclist who was brought into hospital after a road traffic accident, having sustained an open posterior subtalar dislocation. After initial reduction and resuscitation in the emergency department, he was taken to the operating theater for emergent wound debridement and external fixation of his ankle using a unilateral external fixator device. After 2 subsequent repeat debridements, this was changed to a ring external fixator device, followed by split-thickness skin grafting of his wound. He was allowed full weightbearing and was discharged from hospital 10 days after his last operation. He continued to improve clinically at his outpatient appointments to the 1-year follow-up point, with his external fixator removed at 6 weeks postoperatively. At the last follow-up appointment, he had successfully returned to his previous employment. To the best of our knowledge, only 1 other description of an open posterior dislocation has been reported, which was managed nonoperatively after wound debridement. Ours is the first reported case of an open posterior dislocation managed surgically using a ring external fixator. We believe the ability to allow immediate weightbearing resulting from the additional stability provided by this type of fixation is advantageous, with a theoretical reduction in the risk of periarticular osteoporosis and calf muscle atrophy. The early mobilization afforded by this treatment is hoped to improve the typically poor long-term outcomes for these patients.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Subtalar dislocation of the foot.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1982; 64: 433-437
- Evaluation and management of subtalar dislocations.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 1980; 20: 494-497
- Subtalar dislocation: two cases requiring surgery and a literature review of the last 25 years.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2014; 134: 1237-1249
- Isolated acute traumatic subtalar dislocations: review of 13 cases at a mean follow-up of 6 years and literature review.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2017; 56: 201-207
- Subtalar dislocations.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1989; 238: 190-194
- Injury characteristics and the clinical outcome of subtalar dislocations: a clinical and radiographic analysis of 25 cases.Foot Ankle Int. 2003; 24: 158-163
- Subtalar dislocations: long-term follow-up of 39 cases.Injury. 1992; 23: 97-100
- Conservative treatment of subtalar dislocations.Int Orthop. 2002; 26: 56-60
- Clinical outcome of closed isolated subtalar dislocations.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2008; 128: 593-598
- True posterior dislocation of subtalar joint: a case report.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2003; 42: 363-365
- Subtalar dislocation of the foot.Foot. 1996; 6: 168-174
- Open subtalar dislocation.ANZ J Surg. 1991; 61: 681-686
- Posterior subtalar dislocation.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 1997; 42: 310-313
- Isolated subtalar dislocation.J Bone Joint Surg. 2010; 92: 890-894
- External fixation of open subtalar dislocation.Injury. 2006; 37: 909-913
- Talar dislocations.Injury. 2004; 35: 36-45
- Current concepts review—injury of an extremity as a risk factor for the development of osteoporosis.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1997; 79: 263-276
- Lateral peritalar dislocation: a case report.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2008; 47: 56-59
- Cast immobilisation or vacuum stabilizing system.J Orthop Trauma. 2000; 14: 451
- Irreducible posterior subtalar dislocation with incarceration of a fracture of the anterior process of the calcaneum.Bone Joint J. 2010; 92: 1025-1027
- Comparison of stability of different types of external fixation.Med Arh. 2011; 65: 157-159
- The mechanics of external fixation.HSS J. 2007; 3: 13-29
- Treatments for avascular necrosis of the talus: a systematic review.Foot Ankle Spec. 2014; 7: 387-397
- Subchondral bone remodeling is related to clinical improvement after joint distraction in the treatment of ankle osteoarthritis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2011; 19: 668-675
- Severe open subtalar dislocations: long-term results.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995; 77: 1075-1079
- Subtalar dislocation.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1981; 63: 1156-1158
- Early mobilization after uncomplicated medial subtalar dislocation provides successful functional results.J Orthop Traumatol. 2011; 12: 37-43
- Subtalar dislocation: management and prognosis for an uncommon orthopaedic condition.Int Orthop. 2016; 40: 999-1007
Published online: June 13, 2017
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2017 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.