Osteochondromas are common benign exostoses with <1% of pedal occurrences. Several cases of osteochondromas have been previously reported in the foot and ankle but none from the cuboid. In the present study, we report a case of osteochondroma originating from the cuboid in a 29-year-old male patient. The patient presented with an aching and shooting pain to his left foot that had progressed during the course of 3 years. Originally diagnosed as a fibroma, the patient had undergone cortisone injections that did not help with his symptoms. Radiographic and magnetic resonance imaging revealed an osteochondroma to the patient’s left cuboid. Surgical removal of the tumor confirmed the diagnosis. The patient had an uneventful postoperative recovery and had no recurrence after 1.5 years of follow-up. In conclusion, although osteochondromas are rare in the foot and ankle and most are benign, they can result in many symptoms and can impair patients’ quality of life, such as occurred in our patient. Recommendations for surgical excision should be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Level of Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Large osteochondroma of the foot.J Foot Surg. 1990; 29: 88-93
- Osteochondroma of the os calcaneum.J Clin Diagn Res. 2013; 7: 1737-1739
- Post-traumatic osteochondroma of the calcaneus.J Assoc Podiatr Med Assoc. 1990; 80: 606-607
- Extraskeletal osteochondroma of the medial arch of the foot.Foot Ankle Spec. 2012; 5: 397-400
- Symptomatic osteochondromas: imaging features.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1997; 168: 1507-1512
- Tumors of the foot and ankle: analysis of 196 cases.J Foot Ankle Surg. 1997; 36: 403-408
- MR imaging of solitary osteochondromas.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1987; 149: 557-560
Financial Disclosure: None Reported.
Conflict of Interest: None Reported.
© 2017 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.