Metaphyseal and proximal diaphyseal fractures of the lateral column metatarsals can have problems with healing. In particular, those involving the fifth metatarsal have been associated with a high nonunion rate with nonoperative treatment. Although intramedullary screw fixation results in a high union rate, delayed healing and complications can occur. We describe an innovative technique to treat both acute and chronic injuries involving the metatarsal base from the metaphysis to the proximal diaphyseal bone of the fourth and fifth metatarsals. The surgical technique involves evacuation of sclerotic bone at the fracture site, packing the fracture site with compact cancellous bone, and plate fixation. In our preliminary results, 4 patients displayed 100% radiographic union at a mean of 4.75 (range 4 to 6) weeks with no incidence of refracture, at a mean follow-up point of 3.5 (range 1 to 5) years. The early results with our small series suggest that this technique is a useful treatment choice for metaphyseal and proximal diaphyseal fractures of the fourth and fifth metatarsals.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fracture of the fifth metatarsal bone by indirect violence.Ann Surg. 1902; 35: 697-700
- Distinguishing Jones and proximal diaphyseal fractures of the fifth metatarsal.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008; 466: 1966-1970
- Proximal fourth metatarsal injuries in athletes: similarity to proximal fifth metatarsal injury.Foot Ankle Int. 2001; 22: 603-608
- Treatment of acute Jones fractures without weightbearing restriction.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2016; 55: 961-964
- Fractures of the base of the fifth metatarsal distal to the tuberosity: classification and guidelines for non-surgical and surgical management.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1984; 66: 209-214
- Treatment and return to sport following a Jones fracture of the fifth metatarsal: a systematic review.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2013; 21: 1307-1315
- Intramedullary screw fixation of Jones fractures: analysis of failure.Am J Sports Med. 2002; 30: 55-60
- Refracture of proximal fifth metatarsal (Jones) fracture after intramedullary screw fixation in athletes.Am J Sports Med. 2000; 28: 732-736
- Analysis of failed surgical management of fractures of the base of the fifth metatarsal distal to the tuberosity: the Jones fracture.Foot Ankle Int. 1996; 17: 449-457
- Treatment of Jones fracture non-unions and refractures in the elite athlete: outcomes of intramedullary screw fixation with bone grafting.Am J Sports Med. 2011; 39: 1948-1954
- Operative treatment of fifth metatarsal Jones fractures (zones II and III) in the NBA.Foot Ankle Int. 2016; 35: 488-500
- Failed surgical management of acute proximal fifth metatarsal (Jones) fractures: a retrospective case series and literature review.Foot Ankle Spec. 2015; 8: 454-459
- The Jones fracture revisited.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1978; 60: 776-782
- Tension-band wiring for fractures of the fifth metatarsal located in the junction of the proximal metaphysis and diaphysis.Am J Sports Med. 2006; 34: 476-480
- Treatment of Jones fracture nonunions and refractures in the elite athlete.Am J Sports Med. 2013; 39: 1948-1954
- Rethinking our approach to Jones fracture to facilitate shorter post-op recovery.Podiatry Today. 2011; 24
- Stress fractures of the fifth metatarsal.Acta Orthop Belg. 1980; 46: 630-636
- Nonoperative treatment of stress fractures of the proximal shaft of the fifth metatarsal (Jones’ fracture).Foot Ankle Int. 1986; 7: 152-157
- Rare proximal diaphyseal stress fractures of the fifth metatarsal associated with metatarsus adductus.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2016; 55: 788-793
- The association of metatarsus adductus to the proximal fifth metatarsal jones fracture.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2012; 51: 739-742
- Stress fractures of the lateral metatarsal bones in metatarsus adductus deformity: a previously unrecognized association.Skeletal Radiol. 1999; 28: 679-684
- The intraosseous and extraosseous vascular supply of the fifth metatarsal: implications for fifth metatarsal osteotomy.Foot Ankle Int. 2013; 34: 117-123
- Vascular anatomy of the fifth metatarsal.Foot Ankle Int. 1991; 11: 350-353
- The association of varus hindfoot and fracture of the fifth metatarsal metaphyseal-diaphyseal junction.Am J Sports Med. 2008; 36: 1367-1372
- Fractures of the fifth metatarsal: analysis of fracture registry.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1995; 315: 238-241
- Early screw fixation versus casting in the treatment of acute Jones fractures.Am J Sports Med. 2005; 33: 970-975
- Percutaneous internal fixation of proximal fifth metatarsal Jones fractures (zones II and III) with Charlotte Carolina screw and bone marrow aspirate concentrate: an outcome study in athletes.Am J Sports Med. 2011; 39: 1295-1301
- Headless compression screw fixation of Jones fractures: an outcomes study in Japanese athletes.Am J Sports Med. 2012; 40: 2578-2582
- Fifth metatarsal Jones fracture fixation with a 4.5-mm cannulated stainless steel screw in the competitive and recreational athlete: a clinical and radiographic evaluation.Am J Sports Med. 2005; 33: 726-733
Published online: June 13, 2017
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: A.S. received royalties and honoraria from Trimed, Inc.
© 2017 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.