Melanoma is a well-known malignant neoplasm of the skin, although it can also arise from other structures. Bone metastasis is not an uncommon event associated with melanoma, although primary osseous melanoma is very rare. In the present report, we describe a case of primary melanoma arising from the left third metatarsal in an adult male. The lesion was treated with surgical excision without adjunct chemotherapy, and recurrence developed approximately 12 months after the foot surgery. The patient died of the cancer 34 months after it had been identified. Primary melanoma arising in a metatarsal is rare, and we wished to highlight this unusual presentation.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Clear cell sarcoma of tendons and aponeuroses: an analysis of 21 cases.Cancer. 1965; 18: 1163-1174
- Clear cell sarcoma of tendons and aponeuroses.in: Bone and Soft Tissue Tumours. ed 2. Piccin Nuova Libraria, Padua, Italy1999: 1161-1165
- Metastatic malignant melanoma in bone marrow with occult primary site—a case report with review of literature.Diagn Pathol. 2007; 2: 38
- Melanoma of unknown primary site: presentation, treatment, and prognosis—a single institution study. University of Pennsylvania Pigmented Lesion Study Group.Cancer. 1997; 79: 1816-1821
- Malignant melanoma: the patient with an unknown site of primary origin.Arch Surg. 1975; 110: 896-900
- Metastatic melanoma of unknown primary.Cancer. 1982; 49: 1106-1111
- Primary malignant melanoma of proximal tibia.J Knee Surg. 2012; 25: 75-78
- Clear cell sarcoma in the first metatarsal: an unusual case.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 1998; 88: 457-461
- Primary clear cell sarcoma of bone.Skeletal Radiol. 2003; 32: 598-602
- Primary malignant melanoma of the calcaneus.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2006; 16: 277-279
- Primary malignant melanoma (clear cell sarcoma) of bone: report of a case arising in the ulna.Cancer. 1996; 77: 2471-2475
- Primary clear cell sarcoma of humerus: case report.World J Surg Oncol. 2011; 9: 163
- Primary clear cell sarcoma (malignant melanoma) in the right radius.Skeletal Radiol. 2003; 32: 594-597
- Primary clear cell sarcoma of bone: a unique site of origin.Skeletal Radiol. 1999; 28: 240-243
- Primary clear cell sarcoma of rib.Skeletal Radiol. 2005; 34: 167-170
- Primary giant clear cell sarcoma (soft tissue malignant melanoma) of the sternum.Ann Thorac Surg. 2009; 87: 1927-1928
- Clear cell sarcoma arising from the iliac wing: case report.Internet J Oncol. 2009; 6
- Primary clear cell sarcoma of the sacrum: a case report.Skeletal Radiol. 2011; 40: 633-639
- Melanoma exosomes: messengers of metastasis.Nat Med. 2012; 18: 853-854
Published online: June 26, 2017
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2017 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.