Several serious complications can occur after talar neck fractures. However, these fractures are extremely rare in children. We present a pediatric low-energy Hawkins type III fracture-dislocation that had excessive displacement accompanied by neurovascular and tendon entrapment. A 9-year-old male patient referred to our hospital 5 hours after jumping off a swing in a children's playground. An excessively displaced talar neck fracture-dislocation was observed at the initial evaluation. The patient underwent urgent surgery. The tibialis posterior flexor digitorum longus tendons, posterior tibial artery, and tibial nerve were entrapped at the fracture site. The talar neck fracture was reduced using open reduction. The neurovascular structures and tendons were removed from the fracture site. The fracture was fixed using two 4.5-mm cannulated screws. The patient was able to bear full weight at 10 weeks postoperatively. At 6 months, the patient was able to walk unassisted with full ankle range of motion. However, at 2 years, his American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society Ankle-Hindfoot scale score had decreased to 72 points, and we observed avascular necrosis in the talar head. In conclusion, talar fractures are rare but can lead to serious complications. In the pediatric population, even low-energy trauma, such as had occurred in our patient, can result in severe displaced fracture-dislocations. After severe displaced fracture-dislocations, important soft tissue structures can become entrapped between fracture fragments, and surgeons should be aware of this situation when considering using closed reduction.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Report quoted in Opera quae extant omnia (1646).Francofurti ad Moenum Beyer Obs. 1608; 67: 140
- Lower extremity fractures.in: Tachdjian's Pediatric Orthopaedics: From the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children. ed 4. Saunders Elsevier, Philadelphia2007: 2760-2766
- Acta Orthop Belg. 2001; 67: 60-67
- Treatment of complications of fractures and dislocations of the talus.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1963; 30: 45-52
- Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb. 1975; 113: 696-698
- Complications of talus fractures in children.J Pediatr Orthop. 2010; 30: 779-784
- Unfallchirurg. 1998; 101: 2-11
- Fractures of the neck of the talus.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1970; 52: 991-1002
- Fractures of the neck of the talus: long-term evaluation of seventy-one cases.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1978; 60: 143-156
- Fracture of the neck of the talus: a clinical study.Acta Orthop Scand. 1977; 48: 696-706
- Fractures and fracture-dislocations of the neck of the talus.J Trauma. 1980; 20: 1029-1037
- Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi. 1980; 18: 521-523
- Associated soft tissue injury of fracture of the body of talus.Injury. 1992; 23: 280-281
- Fracture of the neck of the talus associated with a trimalleolar ankle fracture and ruptured tibialis posterior tendon.J Orthop Trauma. 1992; 6: 248-251
- Flexor hallucis longus tendon interposition in a fracture of the medial tubercle of the posterior process of the talus.Injury. 1997; 28: 551-552
- Medical and Surgical Aspects of Aviation.Henry Frowde Oxford University Press, London, UK1919
- Analysis of the relevant factors for ischemic necrosis of the talus fracture.Zhongguo Gu Shang. 2015; 28: 368-370
- Zhongguo Gu Shang. 2015; 28: 567-571
- Open reduction and stable fixation of isolated, displaced talar neck and body fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004; 86A: 2229-2234
- Talar neck fractures: results and outcomes.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004; 86: 1616-1624
- Talar body fracture combined with traumatic rupture of anterior talofibular ligament and peroneal longus tendon.Chang Gung Med J. 2004; 27: 56-60
- Talus fractures: evaluation and treatment.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2001; 9: 114-127
- Simultaneous fracture of the ankle and talus associated with ruptured tibialis posterior tendon.Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 1995; Suppl: 22-24
- Diagnosis and treatment of talar dislocation fractures illustrated by 3 case reports and review of literature.Int J Surg Case Rep. 2015; 16: 106-111
- Avascular necrosis of the talus after a minimally displaced neck of talus fracture in a 6-year-old child [Injury 31 (2000) 63-65]: is it really unique?.Injury. 2004; 35: 1216-1217
- Avascular necrosis of the talus after a minimally displaced neck of talus fracture in a 6 year old child.Injury. 2000; 31: 63-65
- Avascular necrosis after minimally displaced talus fracture in a child.Foot Ankle Int. 2000; 21: 1030-1036
Published online: August 01, 2017
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2017 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.