Three-dimensional computer-assisted preoperative planning, combined with patient-specific surgical guides, has become an effective technique for treating complex extra- and intraarticular bone malunions by corrective osteotomy. The feasibility and accuracy of such a technique has not yet been evaluated for ankle deformities. Four surgical cases of varying complexity and location were selected for evaluation. Three-dimensional bone models of the affected and contralateral healthy lower limb were generated from computed tomography scans. The preoperative planning software permitted quantification of the deformity in 3 dimensions and subsequent simulation of reduction, yielding a precise surgical plan. Patient-specific surgical guides were designed, manufactured, and finally applied during surgery to reproduce the preoperative plan. Evaluation of the postoperative computed tomography scans indicated adequate reduction accuracy with residual translational and rotational errors of <3 mm and <6°, respectively. Two patients required revision surgery owing to anterior osseous impingement or delayed union of the osteotomy. All patients were satisfied with the postoperative course and were pain free at a mean follow-up period of 2.5 (range 1 to 4) years. These promising results require confirmation in a clinical study with a larger sample size.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Correction of multiplanar hindfoot deformity with osteotomy, arthrodesis, and internal fixation.Instr Course Lect. 2005; 54: 269-276
- Ankle osteoarthritis: distinctive characteristics.Instr Course Lect. 1999; 48: 233-241
- Etiology of ankle osteoarthritis.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009; 467: 1800-1806
- Long-term results following ankle arthrodesis for post-traumatic arthritis.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001; 83-A: 219-228
- Intermediate to long-term outcomes of total ankle replacement with the Scandinavian total ankle replacement (STAR).J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015; 97: 895-903
- Complex radius shaft malunion: osteotomy with computer-assisted planning.Hand. 2010; 5: 171-178
- Three-dimensional correction of distal radius intra-articular malunions using patient-specific drill guides.J Hand Surg. 2013; 38: 2339-2347
- Three-dimensional postoperative accuracy of extra-articular forearm osteotomies using CT-scan based patient-specific surgical guides.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2015; 16: 1-8
- Three-dimensional corrective osteotomy of malunited fractures of the upper extremity with use of a computer simulation system.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008; 90: 2375-2389
- Computer-assisted corrective osteotomy for malunited diaphyseal forearm fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012; 94: e150
- A method for registration of 3-D shapes.IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell. 1992; 14: 239-256
- ISB recommendation on definitions of joint coordinate system of various joints for the reporting of human joint motion—part I: ankle, hip, and spine. International Society of Biomechanics.J Biomech. 2002; 35: 543-548
- Preoperative planning in the surgical correction of tibial nonunions and malunions.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1983; 178: 26-30
- The use of tibial osteotomy (ankle plafondplasty) for joint preservation of ankle deformity and early arthritis.Foot Ankle Clin. 2016; 21: 15-26
- Mid- to long-term results of supramalleolar osteotomy.Foot Ankle Int. 2017; 38: 124-132
- Deformity correction planning for hindfoot, ankle, and lower limb.Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2004; 21: 305-326
- Supramalleolar osteotomy for ankle deformity and arthritis.Foot Ankle Clin. 2004; 9: 475-487
- Supramalleolar osteotomy for the treatment of distal tibial angular deformities and arthritis of the ankle joint.Foot Ankle Int. 2003; 24: 754-764
- Classification and treatment of supramalleolar deformities.Foot Ankle Int. 2011; 32: 1023-1031
- Low tibial osteotomy for varus-type osteoarthritis of the ankle.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2006; 88: 909-913
- Supramalleolar osteotomies for posttraumatic malalignment of the distal tibia.Foot Ankle Clin. 2016; 21: 1-14
- Complex osteotomies of tibial plateau malunions using computer-assisted planning and patient-specific surgical guides.J Orthop Trauma. 2015; 29: e270-e276
- Preshaping plates for minimally invasive fixation of calcaneal fractures using a real-size 3D-printed model as a preoperative and intraoperative tool.Foot Ankle Int. 2014; 35: 1231-1236
- A novel combination of printed 3-dimensional anatomic templates and computer-assisted surgical simulation for virtual preoperative planning in Charcot foot reconstruction.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2012; 51: 387-393
- Three-dimensional printing and surgical simulation for preoperative planning of deformity correction in foot and ankle surgery.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2017; 56: 191-195
Published online: June 29, 2017
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2017 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.