Calcaneal fracture can lead to long-term disability and have a considerable economic effect. Most calcaneal fractures are intraarticular fractures involving the posterior facet of the subtalar joint. Treating displaced intraarticular calcaneal fractures is complicated because of the lack of an optimal treatment option. Internal fixation typically involves screw-and-plate implants, which can be unfavorable owing to the lack of an anatomic design and the intraoperative bending required for the plate to contour to the irregular surface of the calcaneus. We assessed the outcomes of 30 patients treated using innovative, anatomically designed calcaneal locking plates and the perceived advantages for surgeons. Postoperative computed tomography images of the affected feet were obtained, and the functional performance was recorded. The mean average Böhler angle had increased significantly from 16.8° ± 14.9° to 28.5° ± 9.4° (p < .001). The mean average maximal fracture gap and maximal step-off in the posterior facet of the subtalar joint in the coronal computed tomography images also decreased significantly from 2.8 ± 3.7 mm to 0.8 ± 1.3 mm (p < .01) and from 3.3 ± 2.8 mm to 0.8 ± 1.2 mm (p < .001), respectively. The mean average American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Ankle-Hindfoot scale score was 93.9 ± 7.1 at the final follow-up visit. In addition, the surgical time was reduced because bending the plate was not required and the quality of reduction could be assessed easily by examining the gap between the cortex and the plate. The results were promising, revealing that the anatomic locking plate can be used effectively in the treatment of displaced intraarticular calcaneal fractures using simple reduction techniques with a potentially shortened operating time.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures: 15-year follow-up of a randomised controlled trial of conservative versus operative treatment.Injury. 2007; 38: 848-855
- Surgical versus conservative interventions for displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 1: CD008628
- Long-term outcomes of 1,730 calcaneal fractures: systematic review of the literature.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2013; 52: 486-490
- Proximal femoral morphology and the relevance to design of anatomically precontoured plates: a study of the Chinese population.ScientificWorldJournal. 2014; 2014: 106941
- Secrets of 5-Axis Machining.Industrial Press, Norwalk, CT2008
- The sustentaculum tali screw fixation for the treatment of Sanders type II calcaneal fracture: a finite element analysis.Pak J Med Sci. 2014; 30: 1099-1103
- Biomechanical evaluation of a locking and nonlocking reconstruction plate in an osteoporotic calcaneal fracture model.Foot Ankle Int. 2011; 32: 432-436
- Stress analysis of the standing foot following surgical plantar fascia release.J Biomech. 2002; 35: 629-637
- Roentgen examination of the subtaloid joint in fractures of the calcaneus.Acta Radiol. 1949; 31: 85-91
- The prognostic value of radiologic parameters for long-term outcome assessment after an isolated unilateral calcaneus fracture.Technol Health Care. 2015; 23: 285-298
- Clinical rating systems for the ankle-hindfoot, midfoot, hallux, and lesser toes.Foot Ankle Int. 1994; 15: 349-353
- Reliability and validity of the subjective component of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society clinical rating scales.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2007; 46: 65-74
- Operative treatment of displaced intraarticular calcaneal fractures: long-term (10-20 years) results in 108 fractures using a prognostic CT classification.J Orthop Trauma. 2014; 28: 551-563
- Comparison of nonlocking plates and locking plates for intraarticular calcaneal fracture.Foot Ankle Int. 2014; 35: 1298-1302
- Displacement of the sustentaculum fragment in intra-articular calcaneal fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95: 995-1000
- Anatomic alignment and integrity of the sustentaculum tali in intra-articular calcaneal fractures: is the sustentaculum tali truly constant?.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96: 1000-1005
- Wound complications following operative fixation of calcaneal fractures.Injury. 2000; 31: 461-464
- Regression analysis of controllable factors of surgical incision complications in closed calcaneal fractures.J Res Med Sci. 2014; 19: 495-501
Published online: September 06, 2017
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: Dr. Chu is involved in the design of the plate described in the present study.
© 2017 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.