The ball-and-socket ankle joint is a rare deformity characterized by the loss of concavity in the trochlear surface of the talus with rounding of the articular surfaces of the distal fibula and tibia. Frequently, tarsal coalitions, fibular hypoplasia, and shortening of the limb accompany this deformity. To date, no data have been reported on surgical treatment of lateral ankle joint instability and peroneal tendon dislocation concomitant with a ball-and-socket ankle joint. In the present study, we report the case of a 43-year-old male patient with right lateral ankle joint instability and peroneal tendon dislocation in a ball-and-socket ankle joint, with accompanying tarsal coalition. This was surgically treated by lateral ankle joint ligament reconstruction and tenodesis.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The ball and socket ankle joint.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1979; 61: 85-89
- Über Mißbildungen des Hand-und Fußskelettes und über ihre formale Genese.Fortschr Röntgenstr. 1931; 43: 605-619
- The ball and socket ankle joint: a congenital abnormality.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1958; 40-B: 240-243
- An unusual cause of ankle pain: stress fracture in a ball and socket ankle joint.Foot Ankle Surg. 2002; 8: 221-222
- Development of the ball-and-socket ankle as assessed by radiography and arthrography: a long-term follow-up report.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1999; 81: 1001-1004
- Ball-and-socket ankle.J Pediatr Orthop. 2006; 26: 427-431
- Ball-and-socket ankle joint with hypoplastic sustentaculum tali.Eur Radiol. 2002; 12 (Suppl 3): S48-S50
- A rare case of a ball and socket ankle joint.BMJ Case Rep. 2011; https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr.10.2011.4919
- Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2003; 37: 406-409
- Terminal hemimelia of the lower extremity: absent lateral ray and a normal fibula.Int Orthop. 2008; 32: 263-267
- Tibia dome-shaped osteotomy for a valgus deformity in a ball-and-socket ankle joint: a case report.Clin Res Foot Ankle. 2013; 1: 116
- Surgical correction of the ball and socket ankle joint in the adult associated with a talonavicular tarsal coalition.Foot Ankle Int. 2013; 34: 1381-1388
- The adult ball-and-socket ankle joint: surgical management of late ankle and subtalar arthritis.Foot Ankle Spec. 2015; 8: 112-118
- Pathologic anatomic variations in subtalar anatomy.Foot Ankle Int. 1997; 18: 471-476
- The ball-and-socket ankle: a case history and literature review.Foot Ankle Int. 1995; 16: 302-305
- Ankle and subtalar synovitis in a ball-and-socket ankle joint causing posterolateral painful coarse crepitus: a case report.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2014; 53: 753-756
- Reconstruction of the lateral ligaments of the ankle using solvent-dried and gamma-irradiated allogeneic fascia lata.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2000; 82: 579-582
- Ball-and-socket ankle joint.Skeletal Radiol. 1987; 16: 447-451
- Congenital ball-and-socket ankle joints and related lower-extremity malformations.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1982; 64: 672-679
- Congenital and acquired ball-and-socket ankle joint.Radiology. 1965; 84: 940-944
- Ball and socket ankle joint in metatarsus adductus varus (S-shaped or serpentine foot).J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1973; 55: 193-196
- Genesis of the ball-and-socket ankle.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1986; 68: 834-837
- Ball and socket ankle joint in connection with bilateral tarsal synostosis in a boy with congenital absence of the portal vain: a novel malformation complex.Cases J. 2008; 1: 76
- Congenital ball and socket ankle joint.Br J Radiol. 1962; 35: 871-872
- Congenital deficiency of the fibula.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1979; 61-B: 133-137
- Anatomic reconstruction of the anterior talofibular and calcaneofibular ligaments using a semitendinosus tendon allograft and interference screws.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2012; 20: 1432-1437
- Anatomical reconstruction of the lateral ligaments of the ankle with semitendinosus allograft.Int Orthop. 2012; 36: 2027-2031
- All-inside arthroscopic lateral collateral ligament repair for ankle instability with a knotless suture anchor technique.Foot Ankle Int. 2013; 34: 1701-1709
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2017 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.