We present surgical stabilization of a long spiral fibular fracture using a contoured plate, which allows for better fixation of the fracture compared with standard plating. We believe this technique modification provides satisfactory compression and better anatomic orientation to the fibula to facilitate closed fixation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Ankle injury mechanisms: lessons learned from cadaveric studies.Clin Anat. 2011; 21: 350-361
- Ankle fractures.in: Coughling M.J. Mann R.A. Saltzman C.L. Surgery of the Foot and Ankle. ed. 2. Mosby, Philadelphia, PA2006
- Anatomy of the distal tibiofibular syndesmosis in adults: a pictorial essay with a multimodality approach.J Anat. 2010; 217: 633-645
- Ankle syndesomosis injuries.Foot Ankle Clin. 2006; 11: 35-50
- A rare type of ankle fracture: syndesmotic rupture combined with high fibular fracture without medial injury.Injury Int J. 2016; 47: 766-775
- Ankle fractures: pathomechanics and treatment.in: Banks A.S. Downey M.S. Martin D.E. Miller S.J. McGlamry Comprehensive Textbook of Foot and Ankle Surgery. ed. 3. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2001: 1897-1964
- Open reduction internal fixation of a bimalleolar ankle fracture with syndesmotic injury.J Orthop Trauma. 2016; 30: S43-S44
- The influence of a diastasis screw on the outcome of weber type-c ankle fractures.J Bone Joint Surg. 1995; 77: 435-438
- Do locking screws work in plates bent at holes.J Orthop Trauma. 2014; 28: 189-194
- Biomechanical evaluation of plate versus lag screw only fixation of distal fibula fractures.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2015; 54: 896-899
- Syndesmotic screw placement: a biomechanical analysis.Foot Ankle Int. 1997; 18: 262-266
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2017 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.