Osteochondromas are common, benign surface tumors of bone, composed of the cartilage-capped bone confluent with the medullary canal of the metaphyseal bone. Extraskeletal osteochondromas have the same gross appearance and histologic characteristics as a typical osteochondroma but do not have any boney attachment to the surrounding osseous structures. They are rare and most frequently reported in the middle-age and older adults. We present the first case of an extraskeletal osteochondroma of the foot reported in a teenager. Our patient was a 17-year-old male complaining of a slow-growing mass along the medial border of the great toe that he first noted at the age of 14 years. The increasing size of the mass and frequency of complaints with shoe wear prompted medical attention. Imaging studies showed an ossified 1-cm boney mass with trabecular detail, located on the medial aspect of the great toe at the level of the interphalangeal joint, without any connection to the surrounding structures. An excisional biopsy revealed a well-circumscribed, easily removable mass, which proved to be an extraskeletal osteochondroma both clinically and histologically.
Level of Clinical Evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Bone Tumors: General Aspects and Data on 8,542 Cases.4th ed. Springfield, IL, Thomas,1986.
- The origin of osteochondromas and enchondromas: a histopathologic study.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1983; 174: 264-284
- Dahlin's Bone Tumors; General Aspects and Data on 10,165 Cases.6th ed. Wolters Kluwer, Philadelphia, PA, 2010
- Cartilaginous tumors of the soft tissues of the hands and feet.Mayo Clin Proc. 1974; 49: 721-726
- Cartilaginous and osseous soft tissue tumors.in: Weiss SM Goldbrum JR Enzinger FM Enzinger and Weiss Soft Tissue Tumors. 4th ed. St. Louis, MO, Mosby2001: 1361-1385
- Extraskeletal osteochondroma of thigh: a case report.Acta Orthop Belg. 2005; 71: 115-118
- Extraskeletal osteochondroma near the hip: a pediatric case.J Pediatr Orthop B. 2010; 19: 524-528
- Extraskeletal paraarticular osteochondroma of the knee-a case report and tumor overview.Knee. 2006; 13: 411-414
- Extraskeletal osteochondroma of buttock.J Korean Med Sci. 2003; 18: 127-130
- Extraskeletal osteochondroma in nape of neck: a case report.J Orthop Surg. 2006; 14: 192-195
- Extraskeletal osteochondromas of the wrist.J Hand Surg. 1987; 12: 212-217
- Soft-tissue osteochondroma of the heel pad: a case report and review of literature.Foot Ankle Surg. 2010; 16: e76-e78
- Soft-tissue osteochondroma in the calcaneal pad: a case report.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2001; 40: 396-400
- Soft tissue osteochondroma: a report of three cases.Skeletal Radiol. 1989; 18: 435-437
- Giant extraskeletal osteochondroma of the plantar midfoot arch.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2008; 47: 362-367
- A large extraskeletal osteochondroma of the foot.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2013; 52: 663-665
- Extraskeletal osteochondroma of the medial arch of the foot.Foot Ankle Spec. 2012; 5: 397-400
- Extraskeletal osteochondroma of the foot.J Chin Med Assoc. 2010; 73: 52-55
- Extraskeletal osteochondroma arising on the plantar region.Case Rep Dermatol. 2011; 3: 147-150
- Metatarsal stress fractures secondary to soft-tissue osteochondroma in the foot: case report and literature review.Foot Ankle Surg. 2011; 17: e51-e54
- Congenital extraskeletal osteochondroma of the web space displacing the lesser toes: a unique presentation.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2015; 54: 726-729
- Subungual exostosis of the great toe: a case report and tumor overview.Foot Ankle Spec. 2011; 4: 376-378
- Periarticular tenosynovial chondrometaplasia. Report of a case at the wrist.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1972; 54: 650-652
Published online: May 10, 2019
Financial Disclosure: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
© 2018 by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved.