Level of Clinical Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
- The epidemiology of ankle sprains in the United States.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010; 92: 2279-2284
- A systematic review on ankle injury and ankle sprain in sports.Sports Med. 2007; 37: 73-94
- Chronic ankle instability: current perspectives.Avicenna J Med. 2016; 6: 103-108
- Prevalence and impact of chronic ankle instability in adolescent athletes.Orthop J Sports Med. 2020; 82325967119900962
- Degenerative arthritis of the ankle secondary to long-standing lateral ligament instability.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1979; 61: 354-361
- Sprained ankles. VI. Surgical treatment of “chronic” ligament ruptures.Acta Chir Scand. 1966; 132: 551-565
- Early and late repair of lateral ligament of the ankle.Foot Ankle. 1980; 1: 84-89
- The relationship between chronic ankle instability and variations in mortise anatomy and impingement spurs.Foot Ankle Int. 2000; 21: 657-664
- Long-term results after modified Broström procedure without calcaneofibular ligament reconstruction.Foot Ankle Int. 2011; 32: 153-157
- Twenty-six-year results after Broström procedure for chronic lateral ankle instability.Am J Sports Med. 2006; 34: 975-978
- Comparison of all-inside arthroscopic and open techniques for the modified Broström procedure for ankle instability.Foot Ankle Int. 2016; 37: 1037-1045
- Anatomic suture anchor versus the Broström technique for anterior talofibular ligament repair: a biomechanical comparison.Am J Sports Med. 2012; 40: 2590-2596
- Comparison of Broström technique, suture anchor repair, and tape augmentation for reconstruction of the anterior talofibular ligament.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016; 24: 1101-1107
- Systems for grading the quality of evidence and the strength of recommendations I: critical appraisal of existing approaches The GRADE Working Group.BMC Health Serv Res. 2004; 4: 38
- Arthroscopic versus open repair of lateral ankle ligament for chronic lateral ankle instability: a meta-analysis.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2020; 28: 1611-1618
- Arthroscopic repair of lateral ankle ligament for chronic lateral ankle instability: a systematic review.Arthroscopy. 2018; 34: 2497-2503
- Similar outcomes at early term after arthroscopic or open repair of chronic ankle instability: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2019; 58: 312-319
- Chapter 10: Analysing data and undertaking meta-analyses.in: Higgins JPT Thomas J Chandler J Cumpston M Li T Page MJ Welch VA Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions version 6.2 (updated February 2021). Cochrane, 2021 (Available at:)
- Clinical and functional results of Broström-Gould procedure with suture tape augmentation: an evaluation using three scales.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2020; 59: 733-738
- Modified Broström repair with and without augmentation using suture tape for chronic lateral ankle instability.Orthop Surg. 2019; 11: 671-678
- Functional results of open Broström ankle ligament repair augmented with a suture tape.Foot Ankle Int. 2018; 39: 304-310
- Clinical results of an arthroscopic modified Broström operation with and without an internal brace.J Orthop Traumatol. 2016; 17: 353-360
- ATFL elongation after Broström procedure: a biomechanical investigation.Foot Ankle Int. 2008; 29: 1126-1130
- Anterior talofibular ligament ruptures, part 1: biomechanical comparison of augmented Broström repair techniques with the intact anterior talofibular ligament.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 405-411
- Complications of lateral ankle ligament reconstruction.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2001; 391: 123-132
- Intermediate- to long-term longevity and incidence of revision of the modified Broström-Gould procedure for lateral ankle ligament repair: a systematic review.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2017; 56: 1076-1080
- An analysis of outcome measures following the Broström-Gould procedure for chronic lateral ankle instability.Foot Ankle Int. 2005; 26: 816-819
- PROMIS and FAAM minimal clinically important differences in foot and ankle orthopedics.Foot Ankle Int. 2019; 40: 65-73
- Accelerated versus traditional rehabilitation after anterior talofibular ligament reconstruction for chronic lateral instability of the ankle in athletes.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 1441-1447
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
Financial Disclosure: The authors have no financial interests or sources of funding to disclose.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this paper are those of the authors and do not reflect the official policy of the Department of the Army/Navy/Air Force, Department of Defense, or U.S. Government.