Level of Clinical Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
- The epidemiology and trends in management of acute Achilles tendon ruptures in Ontario, Canada: a population-based study of 27 607 patients.Bone Joint J. 2017; 99-B: 78-86
- Increasing incidence of acute Achilles tendon rupture and a noticeable decline in surgical treatment from 1994 to 2013. A nationwide registry study of 33,160 patients.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016; 24: 3730-3737
- Epidemiology of Achilles tendon ruptures: increasing incidence over a 33-year period.Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2015; 25: e133-e138
- Trends in the management of Achilles tendon ruptures in the United States medicare population, 2005-2011.Orthop J Sports Med. 2014; 2 (2325967114549948)
- The epidemiology of musculoskeletal tendinous and ligamentous injuries.Injury. 2008; 39: 1338-1344
- The incidence of Achilles tendon ruptures in Edmonton.Canada. Foot Ankle Int. 2005; 26: 932-936
- Changing incidence of Achilles tendon rupture in Scotland: a 15-year study.Clin J Sport Med. 1999; 9: 157-160
- The epidemiology of Achilles tendon rupture in a Danish county.Injury. 1998; 29: 651-654
- Incidence of Achilles tendon rupture.Acta Orthop Scand. 1996; 67: 277-279
- Increasing incidence of Achilles tendon rupture.Acta Orthop Scand. 1996; 67: 479-481
- Acute Achilles tendon ruptures: incidence of injury and surgery in Sweden between 2001 and 2012.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 2419-2423
- The role of recreational sport activity in Achilles tendon rupture. A clinical, pathoanatomical, and sociological study of 292 cases.Am J Sports Med. 1989; 17: 338-343
- Achilles tendon injuries.Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2017; 10: 72-80
- The strength of Achilles tendon repair: a comparison of three suture techniques in human cadaver tendons.Foot Ankle Int. 2010; 31: 701-705
- The Krackow suture: how, when, and why.Orthopedics. 2008; 31: 931-933
- Ligament-tendon fixation: analysis of a new stitch and comparison with standard techniques.Orthopedics. 1988; 11: 909-917
- A meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials comparing conventional to minimally invasive approaches for repair of an Achilles tendon rupture.Foot Ankle Surg. 2011; 17: 211-217
- Surgical interventions for treating acute Achilles tendon ruptures.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; CD003674
- Acute Achilles tendon rupture: a randomized, controlled study comparing surgical and nonsurgical treatments using validated outcome measures.Am J Sports Med. 2010; 38: 2186-2193
- Rerupture and deep infection following treatment of total Achilles tendon rupture.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002; 84: 2016-2021
- Percutaneous vs. open repair of the ruptured Achilles tendon–a prospective randomized controlled study.Foot Ankle Int. 2001; 22: 559-568
- A biomechanical comparison of an open repair and 3 minimally invasive percutaneous Achilles tendon repair techniques during a simulated, progressive rehabilitation protocol.Am J Sports Med. 2015; 43: 1957-1964
- Limited-open Achilles tendon repair using locking sutures versus nonlocking sutures: an in vitro model.Foot Ankle Int. 2014; 35: 612-618
- Achilles tendon repair: Achillon system vs. Krackow suture: an anatomic in vitro biomechanical study.Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2008; 23: 1158-1164
- Clinical outcomes and complications of percutaneous Achilles repair system versus open technique for acute Achilles tendon ruptures.Foot Ankle Int. 2015; 36: 1279-1286
- Cyclic loading of 3 Achilles tendon repairs simulating early postoperative forces.Am J Sports Med. 2009; 37: 786-790
- Suture-only repair versus suture anchor-augmented repair for Achilles tendon ruptures with a short distal stump: a biomechanical comparison.Orthop J Sports Med. 2017; 5 (2325967116678722)
- Biomechanical head-to-head comparison of 2 sutures and the Giftbox Versus Bunnell techniques for midsubstance Achilles tendon ruptures.Orthop J Sports Med. 2017; 5 (2325967117707477)
- Knotted versus knotless suture bridge repair of the Achilles tendon insertion: a biomechanical study.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 2727-2733
- The relative stress on the Achilles tendon during ambulation in an ankle immobiliser: implications for rehabilitation after Achilles tendon repair.Br J Sports Med. 2001; 35 (discussion 333-4): 329-333
- Effect of knee flexion angle on Achilles tendon force and ankle joint plantarflexion moment during passive dorsiflexion.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2008; 47: 34-39
- Optimizing Achilles tendon repair: effect of epitendinous suture augmentation on the strength of Achilles tendon repairs.Foot Ankle Int. 2008; 29: 427-432
- Achilles tendon rupture: avoiding tendon lengthening during surgical repair and rehabilitation.Yale J Biol Med. 2011; 84: 289-300
Investigation Performed at: Sanford Health, Fargo, ND, USA.
Reprint: Alexander Chong, Phone: 701-417-6306.
Financial Disclosures: None reported.
Conflict of Interest: This study received no external support. The authors received no payment, personal benefit, commitments, or agreements related to the research. No benefits of any form were received or will be received from a commercial party directly or indirectly to this study.