Level of Clinical Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
- Overdose deaths involving opioids, cocaine, and psychostimulants - United States, 2015-2016.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018; 67: 349
- Worldwide prevalence and trends in unintentional drug overdose: a systematic review of the literature.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: e29-49
- Current perspectives on the opioid crisis in the US healthcare system: a comprehensive literature review.Medicine (Baltimore). 2019; 98: e15425
- Leading the way to solutions to the opioid epidemic: AOA critical issues.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017; 99: e113
- Opioid epidemic in the United States.Pain Physician. 2012; 15: ES9-38
- The United States opioid epidemic.Semin Perintaol. 2019; 43: 123
- Avoiding globalisation of the prescription opioid epidemic.Lancet. 2017; 390: 437
- Vital signs: changes in opioid prescribing in the United States, 2006-2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 697
- New data on opioid use and prescribing in the United States.JAMA. 2017; 318: 425
Prevention USCfDCa. U.S. opioid dispensing rate maps. Opioid overdose. 2020. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/maps/rxrate-maps.html. Accessed June 28, 2022.
- Evaluating the impact of prescription drug monitoring program implementation: a scoping review.BMC Health Serv Res. 2017; 17: 420
Dempsey B, Malia E, Hunt R, Spilka K, Flanagan J, Maniel de Macedo V. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts. https://www.mass.gov/news/update-for-prescribers-new-law-regarding-opioids#:~:text=Effective%20immediately%20Massachusetts%20law%20establishes,all%20opioid%20prescriptions%20for%20minors. Accessed June 28, 2022.
Archambault S, Lombardi F, Prata E, McCaffrey M, Metts H. https://health.ri.gov/healthcare/medicine/about/safeopioidprescribing/#:~:text=This%20law%20intends%20to%20limit,of%20twenty%20(20)%20doses. Accessed June 28, 2022.
Ballotopedia. Opioid prescription limits and policies by state. https://ballotpedia.org/Opioid_prescription_limits_and_policies_by_state. Accessed June 28, 2022.
- Characteristics of opioid prescriptions in 2009.JAMA. 2011; 305: 1299
- Postoperative pain following foot and ankle surgery: a prospective study.Foot Ankle Int. 2008; 29: 1063
- New persistent opioid use after orthopaedic foot and ankle surgery: a study of 348 patients.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2021; 29: e820-e825
- Safety and efficacy of the popliteal fossa nerve block when utilized for foot and ankle surgery.Foot Ankle Int. 2002; 23: 394
- The strengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.Int J Surg. 2014; 12: 1495
- Optimum designs for large database research in musculoskeletal pain management.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2020; 102: S54
CDC compilation of benzodiazepines, muscle relaxants, stimulants, zolpidem, and opioid analgesics with oral morphine milligram equivalent conversion factors. 2019. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/resources/data.html. Accessed June 28, 2022.
- Coding algorithms for defining comorbidities in ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 administrative data.Med Care. 2005; 43: 1130
Opioid prescription limits and policies by state. 2020. Available at: https://ballotpedia.org/Opioid_prescription_limits_and_policies_by_state. Accessed 2020.
- Prescription opioid analgesics commonly unused after surgery.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 1066-1071
- Opioid oversupply after joint and spine surgery: a prospective cohort study.Anesth Analg. 2018; 128: 358-364
- Opioid consumption after knee arthroscopy.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2018; 100: 1629-1636
- Sources of prescription opioid pain relievers by frequency of past-year nonmedical use United States 2008-2011.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 802
- Opioid consumption following outpatient upper extremity surgery.J Hand Surg Am. 2012; 37: 645
- Wide variation and excessive dosage of opioid prescriptions for common general surgical procedures.Ann Surg. 2017; 265: 709
Prevention CfDCa. U.S. opioid dispensing rate maps. Opioid overdose. 2020. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/maps/rxrate-maps.html. Accessed June 28, 2022.
- Multimodal pain management after total joint arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011; 93: 1075
- Impact of patient satisfaction ratings on physicians and clinical care.Patient Prefer Adherence. 2014; 8: 437
- Opioid crisis and acute pain management after foot and ankle surgery.Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2019; 36: 695
- Mandatory prescription limits and opioid utilization following orthopaedic surgery.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019; 101: e43
- Opioid-limiting legislation associated with decreased 30-day opioid utilization following anterior cervical decompression and fusion.Spine J. 2020; 20: 69
- Effect of state legislation on discharge opioid prescriptions after total hip and knee arthroplasties.Arthroplast Today. 2020; 6: 856
- Effect of narcotic prescription limiting legislation on opioid utilization following lumbar spine surgery.Spine J. 2019; 19: 717
- The impact of state level public policy, prescriber education, and patient factors on opioid prescribing in elective orthopedic surgery: findings from a tertiary, academic setting.Mayo Clin Proc Innov Qual Outcomes. 2021; 5: 23
Financial Disclosure: There were no sources of funding for this study.
Conflict of Interest: None reported.
This study (Pro00050604) was reviewed by the local institutional review board and found to be exempt since it is a blinded review of data from an insurance database.