This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A retrospective assessment was performed on 196 tumors of the foot and ankle [out of 1786 bone and son tissue tumor cases, (10.9%)] between March 1986 and March 1996 in the Ankara University Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology Tumor Section. Mean age was 28 years (range 3 to 75 years). Of the 196 foot and ankle tumor cases, 171 (87.2%) were benign, and 25 (12.8%) were malignant. One hundred ninety-four (98.9%) were primary tumors and 2(1.1%) were metastatic tumors. One hundred thirty-six (69.4%) originated from bone, whereas 60 (30.6%) originated from soft tissue. The most frequent foot and ankle tumors were osteosarcoma among malignant osseous tumors, squamous cell carcinoma among malignant soft tissue lesions, solitary exostosis among benign osseous tumors, and xanthoma and giant cell tumor among benign son tissue tumors. Mean follow-up time was 21.3 months (12 to 90 months). One hundred forty (71.4%) of the patients underwent various operations while the remaining 56 (28.6%) were treated conservatively. Of the 140 surgical cases, 13 (9.3%) had a recurrence, 3 (2.1%) died, and 124 (88.6%) had a clinical cure. For most of the patients who required surgery, nonaggressive procedures were sufficient while amputations were required for 14 patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tumors of the foot, ch. 56.in: Jahss M.H. 2nd ed. Disorders of the Foot and the Ankle: Medical and Surgical Management. vol. 2. Saunders, Philadelphia1992: 1654-1677
- C. C. Thomas, Springfield1986 Bone Tumors. 4th ed.
- Statistical analysis of 307 tumors and other lesions of the foot.J. Am. Podiatr. Med. Assoc. 1995; 85: 699-703
- Epidemiology of soft tissue and bone tumors of the foot.Clin. Podiatr. Med. Surg. 1993; 10: 581-607
- Bone tumors of the foot epidemiology and diagnosis.Chir. Organi. Mov. 1991; 76: 47-62
- Differential diagnosis of pedal osseous neoplasms.Clin. Podiatr. Med. Surg. 1993; 10: 683-715
- Tumors of the heel.Clin. Podiatr. Med. Surg. 1990; 7: 307-321
- Advanced diagnostic imaging techniques for pedal osseous neoplasms.Clin. Podiatr. Med. Surg. 1993; 10: 655-682
- Staging of foot and ankle.Radiol. Clin. North Am. 1990; 28: 991-1018
- Diagnostic imaging approach to bone tumors of the foot.J. Foot Surg. 1991; 30: 197-208
- MR imaging of foot and ankle tumors.Mag. Res. Imaging. 1993; 11: 149-162
- Soft-tissue tumors of the foot: value of MR imaging for specific diagnosis.Am. J. Roentgenol. 1990; 155: 1025-1030
- Soft-tissue tumors and tumor-like lesions of the foot. Analysis of eighty-three cases.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1989; 71A: 621-626
- Musculoskeletal Tumor Surgery. vol. 1. Churchill Livingstone, New York1983: 719-741
- Analysis of surgical treatment of 33 foot and ankle tumors.Foot Ankle Int. 1994; 15: 175-181
- Conservative surgery and radiation therapy for soft tissue sarcoma of the wrist, hand, ankle, and foot.Cancer. 1990; 66: 2482-2491
- Management of soft tissue tumors of the foot.Clin. Podiatr. Med. Surg. 1993; 10: 717-725
- The hazards of biopsy in patients with malignant primary bone and soft tissue tumors.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1982; 64A: 1121-1127
- Tumors of the foot.in: Fvarts C.M. 2nd ed. Surgery of the Afusculoskeletal System. vol. 5. Churchill Livingstone, New York1990: 4671-4715
- The foot.in: Helal B. Wilson D. Tumors. vol. 2. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburg1988: 739-769
- W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia1991: 46-66 Bone Tumors' Diagnosis, Treatment, Prognosis.
- Limb salvage for patients with sarcomas of soft tissue and bone.Cancer Bull. 1983; 35: 11-15
- Ewing's sarcoma: A clinicopathologic and statistical analysis of patients surviving five years or longer.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1954; 36B: 118-119
- The management of soft tissue sarcomas of the extremities.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58A: 317-377
- Springer-Verlag, Wien1990: 355-373 Bone and Soft Tissue Tumors.
- High-dose Metotrexate in osteogenic sarcoma: A five year experience.Cancer Treat. Rep. 1978; 62: 259-261
- Metastatic lesions of the foot and ankle.Foot Ankle. 1982; 3: 167-169
- Metastatic tumors to the bones of the foot.Cancer. 1976; 37: 1492-1495
© 1997 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.