This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Intraosseous cystic formation in the talus is a complication of subtalar joint arthroereisis which has not been previously reported. The authors present a case whereby STA-peg implants were utilized to correct a bilateral flatfoot deformity in an adolescent girl. The surgical procedure was successful in treating the structural deformity of the foot, however, the formation of talar cysts occurred. A review of the literature and the treatment of this previously undescribed complication is presented.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Arthrorisis by means of subtalar polyethylene peg implant for correction of hindfoot pronation in children.Clin. Orthop. 1983; 181: 15-23
- The STA operation for the pronated foot in childhood.Clin. Pod. 1984; 1: 165-173
- Subtalar arthrorisis and associated procedures.Clin. Pod. Surg. 1997; 14: 87-98
- The Smith STA-peg: 7-year retrospective study.J. Foot Surg. 1993; 32: 27-33
- Symptomatic juvenile flatfoot condition: Surgical treatment.J. Foot Ankle Surg. 1995; 34: 135-145
- The Smith STA-peg operation for hypermobile pes planovalgus in children.J. Am. Podiatr. Med. Assoc. 1985; 75: 177-183
- Complications of subtalar arthroereisis.J. Foot Surg. 1987; 26: 136-140
- Complications following traumatic incidents with STA-peg procedures.J. Foot Surg. 1988; 27: 236-239
- Intraosseous ganglion: clinicopathologic study of 11 cases.Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 1982; 6: 207-213
- Implantable bone substitute materials.Clin. Pod. Surg. 1995; 12: 437-455
- Intraosseous ganglion of the cuboid bone.J. Foot Ankle Surg. 1993; 32: 443-452
- Intraosseous ganglia of the foot.J. Foot Ankle Surg. 1994; 33: 396-401
- Synovial cysts (ganglia) of bone: Report of two cases.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1967; 49-A: 355-361
- Juxta-articular bone cysts (intra-osseous ganglia).J. Bone Joint Surg. 1979; 61-B: 107-116
Accepted: July 1998
Received: May 1998
Presented in part as a poster exhibit at the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons 55th Annual Meeting and Scientific Seminar.
© 1998 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. All rights reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.